Hi All First Post We Pics

roofis303

As long as his number plate is made up of two lines, he should be fine, unless he goes to an erse of an mot inspector.

Horn

No lights at all(blank out front light)

Rear reflector

Number plate

Road legal tyres (again could be a sticky point if inspector is an erse.

Ohh dear, you've just done what you accused me of doing. Now you are wrong and giving bad advice!

If the MOT tester passes your bike with a number plate that does not meet the correct requirements for size, spacing, colour and mounting he is wrong.

The tester should also fail your bike if any lights are fitted unless all lights are fitted and working.

The best thing to do is forget what we all saying and look at the MOT regulations here: http://www.transportoffice.gov.uk/crt/doitonline/bl/mottestingmanualsandguides/mottestingmanualsandguides.htm

Hmmm....well as I said, it all depends on the tester.

In the past(very recently), I have had a bike passed, with a small number plate, I have also have had another bike passed(no so recently) with a covered up front light for a daytime mot.

guys guys please put the toys back in the pram . i just bought a horn from ebay small one it will do and it was cheap i am away to get the bike tested in the coming weeks . i do like the feel of the beta much better than a guy i no who has a gas gas . i just got back into riding after 20 years out of trialing . the odd shot of some friends bikes over the years but first bike i have bought in 20 years and god it feels light i happy we the beta its sweet

• Like 1

If your tyre says "NOT FOR ROAD USE" usually found in MITCHELINS look for (MST) which means multi surface tyre. Some testers will want to fail you for this if being picky but as long as the tyre has "MST" they cant. No lights are needed just a horn and proper size plate if you need a reflector just get a stick on one and stick it to the number plate. This is by my experiences and hope it helps as i got my bike tested on Wednesday. :icon_salut:

• Like 1

guys guys please put the toys back in the pram . i just bought a horn from ebay small one it will do and it was cheap i am away to get the bike tested in the coming weeks . i do like the feel of the beta much better than a guy i no who has a gas gas . i just got back into riding after 20 years out of trialing . the odd shot of some friends bikes over the years but first bike i have bought in 20 years and god it feels light i happy we the beta its sweet

Sorry roofis, TheDBF and I have got picky over the genuine rules and what we (including me) often get away with in real life.

DBF is right when he says he got away with a registration plate that doedsn't fall within the exact rules. The chances are that you will too. But you can't rely on a tester being slightly lenient.

I use a tester who see's trials and enduro bikes weekly, he understands who we use them for.

He tells me to stick a big plate on for the mot, if a car customer is next and watching, it's too obvious that he's passed something that he should not have. The Dept of testing (Is it VOSA?) also make spot checks and he never knows who's outside.

A full size plate with a 'hanging' bracket doesn't cost much and is easily removed when you get home until next year.

Again, I'm sorry we got a bit techy, not a good introduction to the site.

Pete

No one has mentioned speedo ?

Although not tested at MOT time by the tester, I thought one should be fitted under construction & use regs

A policeman would certainly give you a machine rectification ticket for not having one fitted, if he stopped you

Are you looking to get an MOT certificate, or a road legal bike? The two aren't necessarily the same. You don't need a speedo to get an MOT, you do need one to be legal on the road. Daft isn't it?

Best bet is to find out (via word of mouth from your local club, not t'interweb) a local tester who is sympathetic to the needs of trials bikes, and take it there.

I had my Rev 3 tested for the last two years with the intention of riding on the road to some local lanes. The second time I took it I didn't even need to get it out of the trailer! Since then I have found what everyone else already knew, trials bikes are sh*te on the road.

Mark

I gave up on mine and SORN'd it.

It was taxed and MOT'd when I bought it and my insurer just added it to my KTM and Yamaha but when it came to the new insurance year I couldn't find anyone who would insure it without a full size plate and a seat!!!!!!

As I have no intention to use it on the road I've not bothered as all I really wanted was some theft insurance for a £1k bike.

The trouble is, you can't de-register a vehicle so I will have to SORN it every year I keep it.

I was under the impression that once registered a machine must stay registered until it is scrapped or exported.

I don't see the problem with sorning a machine every year, you can do it online in a matter of minutes and you get a reminder every year.