Recommandations For Rear Shock Replacement

pschrauber

Just went out for a ride with my TL.NW 320 yesterday and the bike "performend" very well. But there is one problem I believe I have,

the rear shocks - still the Girlings - are let's call it very soft, they have a little bit too much sag I believe, (and my weight is 70kg).

They a superb for small bumps and absorbing well but I have noticrd that they lack progression.

DSC09382.JPG

So I have now two possibilities:

#1 Repair the Girlings, any Idea who can do this?

#1.1 Repair the Girlings which will take weeks or months and additional get a replacement

#2 Replace the shocks.

There are two brands that came up to my mind here: the Falcons and the NJB Trixshocks, but which one to choose?

When looking for an replacement should I take the standard lenghts or add 20mm to get more rage of spring?

Any recommandation in this case is appreciated

Patrik

Id get some new shocks rather than rebuilding yours. Rebuilt ones just dont seem to last as long as new ones and lose their gas/oil , but you might be lucky.

The NJB shocks will look similar to yours , so thats a bonus! I suppose its all about whether your a die hard "must keep it original looking" like many people rightly are

Speaking from experience , i bought some NJB shocks and was unhappy with them. They were to soft,bottomed out very easily , were thin and gave me the distinct impression they were badged up cheap imports with a cheap price in mind . They are too cheap for proper competition .The Trixshocks that i have seen look a bit Mickey mouse and flimsy. The shocks that you hear people praising are Rock shocks and Falcoln. Im sure there are others. Id recommend you stick to standard lengths otherwise you might make changes you dont like

I'd try a set of Falcons on there,I recently put a pair on my HT5 - really pleased with them.That they can be completly rebuilt and their length altered really appeals to me too.

• 2 weeks later...

• 3 months later...

Oh, yes Ross I forgot to post the outcome, thanks for the recollection.

I did a research and ask for prices and set up's ... it ended with a pair of Falcons as I wanted a double spring set up likewise the Girlings had.

I have mounted them three weeks ago, did one training with them, two weeks ago I had no time for riding due to family affairs, but last weekend I was on a classic trial and they worked fantastic.

They were a little bit stiff in the beginning, but got quick smoother. I believe they just had to run in, now they respond very good also the setup of rebond and compression is perfect adjusted to my weight. The shocks are around 17mm longer then the standard ones which increases ground clearance and

also improves steering, (the chain is still not touching the rubber at the swing arm axle).

So I'am very pleased and have to thank the members of the forum here for the good advice.

DSC09676.JPG

Next "project" is the fork which needs an overhaul too, (the seals are a little bit worn ... and I would like to improve breakaway torque,

switch to a Betor fork.

Edited by pschrauber
  • Like 1

Nice bike, doesn't look like its had a hard life.

Re Betor forks have a look at

http://www.trialscentral.com/forums/topic/38519-are-betors-better/

Dont think there was any general agreement.

I now have springs supplied by Bultaco UK in my Marzocchi's and like them, old springs are about 50mm shorter !

(not as good as the Paioli's on the Aprilia, but a lot better than the BSA)

I've had falcons and rockshocks on the SWM, the falcons were very good, my only gripe really was that they needed rebuilding often and always needed new damper rods when sent back for a service/regas, this was fairly expensive.

The rockshocks are very well made and don't have gas assistance so you can strip them down & tinker easier. Haven't quite got mine set up as good as the falcons yet though.

I also had a set of Foral forks off an Aprilia fitted, (look similar to Paioli's, wouldn't surprise me if they were the same) these are very good, reliable and consistent.

Nice bike, doesn't look like its had a hard life.

Re Betor forks have a look at

http://www.trialscen...-betors-better/

Dont think there was any general agreement.

I now have springs supplied by Bultaco UK in my Marzocchi's and like them, old springs are about 50mm shorter !

(not as good as the Paioli's on the Aprilia, but a lot better than the BSA)

The bike is an import from Italy, the previous owner is btw. also a member of this forum. He collects trials bike and do have some more.

Anyway I think too it wasn't used so much in trials events and trials training, maybe more for motoalpinisti, (hiking around up and down the mountains in the Alpes).

But how knows as I found marks of one of the earlier hand painted register number witch started with TN = Tornio, then there is a decal from the town Moena left

and last but not least the bike stood 30 km east of Bolzano when I bought it. The speedo shows 2970 km now I believe, so it did came around in northern Italy the

last 30 years.

In my experience so far the Betor forks have a little bit smoother action and less stop-loss torque.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Paul, what do you mean by "less stop-loss troque"?

The bike is an import from Italy, the previous owner is btw. also a member of this forum. He collects trials bike and do have some more.

Anyway I think too it wasn't used so much in trials events and trials training, maybe more for motoalpinisti, (hiking around up and down the mountains in the Alpes).

But how knows as I found marks of one of the earlier hand painted register number witch started with TN = Tornio, then there is a decal from the town Moena left

and last but not least the bike stood 30 km east of Bolzano when I bought it. The speedo shows 2970 km now I believe, so it did came around in northern Italy the

last 30 years.

In my experience so far the Betor forks have a little bit smoother action and less stop-loss torque.

Hi Paul, what do you mean by "less stop-loss troque"?

In my experience so far the Marzocchi fork of the beginning eighties have more "resistance" wherein compression especially for smaller bumps on the ground then the Betor fork.

Not very much but noticeable in direct comparison. Maybe because of the slightly different inerta or whatever is the reason. I would describe it as a bigger stop-loss torque. (I compared the Marzocchi fork of my SWM (1980) with the fork of my Bultaco Betor).

I do hope my misspelling of the word torque in my former post haven't lead to your question?