2 Stroke Mix

roofis303

hi guys what sort of 2 stroke r u running in your bike as i have run out and need to buy more whats best to use in my 09 evo , i got half a bottle from the guy i bought the bike from putoline strawberry cent . what r all u guys using in your bikes . i have been putting in 80mil to 5L petrol what r u guys running cheers

this is the type of question there is no definitive answer to really.

everybody will be different, and have their own preference, and will think their way is the best way.

same as the choice of 2 stroke oil. some will only use castrol. some putoline.

i just use a good quality oil, from a known brand. normally whatever i can get on offer/cheapest at the time.

as far as fuel/oil ratio is concerned, i chop and change until i find what i think is best for the bike.

i havent had mine long enough to experiment yet, but as an example i used 80ml mix last time and found the bike smoked a little too much for my liking, and my mates were complaining who werre riding behind me.

16ml per litre gives you 60:1. This should offer plenty of lube but no smoke.

If the bike is running nice on Putoline why not stick with it? I'd only change if you feel it does'nt work.

I use A747 as my main oil (as a treat due to the smell and superior lubrication) but if going out for a day with mates I use the Putoline strawberry. I use the Puto as I know it mixes with other fuels and oils where as A747 does not. This helps if you run out and need to blag a litre to get back to the truck.

A747 is awesome but you do need to have your jetting set right and get the motor and pipe hot once in a while to burn off the worst deposits. I have to say I have no problems using it but maybe the odd tankful of Puto help burn it off?

I have no spooge either so it can't all be bad. My bike is a 200cc so maybe that helps as you "give it more beans" than a 250+.

For me ?..I've always used 75mL of oil to 5L of petrol in all my bikes,with no problems..ever :guinness:

......I should have said that's using fully or semi synthetic,any brand :thumbup:

Edited by HAM2

• 4 weeks later...

I generally run 60:1 in my Rev3 and it seems happy. When is very dusty/fine sand conditions, I think it's a good idea to bump up the oil a bit. Ran 40-50:1 last week in Moab (very fine blowing sand) with no ill effects.

I'm using Ipone 2 stroke oil at 75ml per 5 litres and it seems good. No smoke or smell, although I might go a little less rich next mix, just to see how it is. Not really played with the mix yet.

If you look at most bike handbooks they will say if you are using mineral oil mix at 25:1 and if you are running fully synthetic mix at 50:1, 60:1 or 75:1 depending on manufacturer and model. Beta does / did recommend Bardahl VBA synthetic.

There are some synthetic oils on the market that do not seem to provide good protection when at ratios higher than 30:1. I do not include castrol, shell or putoline in that category.

I have seen trials engines that have significant wear after 2 to 3 years use when run on synthetic oils at 75:1. The same maufacturrers engines run on semi synthtic at 25:1 or 30:1 have virtually no wear.

If you look at quite a few makes of oil it says mix at manufacturers recomendations up to 50:1 ie the oil company does not expect the product to be used at over 50:1.

With a barrel replate and new piston costing near £400 I now recomment running at 30:1 on semi synthetic.

Cheers

Beta recommend: Lubrication - mix with fuel 1.5% (synthetic oil)

That equates to roughly 66:1 ratio.

http://www.beta-uk.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=138:evo-2t-250290-tech-spec&catid=53:2009-models

For my old Techno, they advise 70:1 on semi synthetic.

I'd say 30:1 is very conservative and you'll not be burning all of the oil.