Sherco 01 2.9 Rev'd Out, Stopped, Now Won't Start. Help!

trh71

I got my and my lads bike out of the van, started them up (2nd kick) put my helmet on, rode down to the beck (100 yds)

My bike (2001 sherco 290) was a bit choked up so i rev'd it to clear it, when the rev's droped it stalled, not wanting to start!

At home i tried a new plug, no go, cleaned the carb, still no go??

Now, I've got fuel and spark, even put yet another new plug on.

When i kick it over, it backfires, but won't catch and start?

Ive tried it with the air box off, exhaust off, filler cap off, feels like i'm banging my head against a brick wall! :wall:

I'm sure someone with more knowlage than me will know what's up with the old girl!

Thanks Tim

It shouldnt really shear that easy, but maybe if the flywheel wasnt as tight as it should be and then you reving it, it could have sheared.

I had one shear on a road bike once, when I took the cover off, the flywheel nut was only finger tight. (not touched from new) The key is only there to locate, its not meant to take any strain.

Might be worth checking the reeds!

Hope you get it sorted.

TLTEL

YES woodruff key it was!!

The flywheel nut wasn't that tight, but the flywheel came off with a good pop.

I'll order one, or maybe two tomorrow!

Let's hope that's all it is.

Thanks again guys!!

Hi its always nice to be right !

Before you put it back together make sure you remove any burrs from inside the flywheel and from the taper on the shaft. Try fitting the flwheel on the shaft with out the key just to make sure it fits snug.

TLTEL

'Lil' bit of grinding paste and lap it on but don't go at it too long as I think there has to be a slight difference in the male and female tapers.

When you nip it up with the torque wrench that last turn is what binds the interference fit. IMHO B)