Cast Aluminium Welding

neonsurge

Due to incompetent spannering, I've broken the upper yoke on my Rev-3 (right down the middle of the pinch bolt hole). Is this repairable? Could it be welded and the hole retapped or am I looking at a forking over a huge pile of melvins for a replacement casting?

My bike maintenance fund is somewhat depleted of late so I'm pursuing every alternative before making a call to John Lampkins... all advice appreciated!

The heat would probably make the immediate area slightly softer.

More malleable rather than more brittle.

But the heat is so localized with a TIG that it would have virtually no effect on the integrity of the part.

If you're worried about welds weakening cast aluminum, don't look at too many swingarms :unsure:

Thanks for everyone's advice. I'll drop into my local dealer at lunchtime to see if he's got a yoke from a scrapper and failing that, get a price on a replacement. If my credit card starts to melt, I'll ask around to see if anyone knows a good welder locally.

Neon,

Sorry to hear about your cracked clamp. Regarding welding, there was an Aprillia in our club for several years that had a similar repair on the lower clamp. The bike was owned by several people including a friend of mine who was famous for spectacular crashes. I never heard of any problems related to the repair. That said, I seem to remember some discussion a few years back concerning using the upper clamp from a '98 Techno to allow fitting tapered bars to a Rev3. Based on that, I think there is a good chance that the clamps are interchangeable. But of course, you should check with a dealer first.

Some very useful information in this thread - definitely to be filed away under "for future reference"!

After cleaning and stripping the bike yesterday, I think that it's very unlikely that an effective weld would be possible; the part that's broken off is very small and it looks like there are a couple of small fragments missing.

A new part has been ordered. Thanks for everyone's advice (and sympathy!)

I know you have already ordered a new piece, but for future reference those type repairs are actually a little easier, and less susceptible too strength problems.

I usually grind off until I can get too the bottom of the threaded area, then clean thoroughly, then start filling it back solid, then grind / sand to original form, then drill, tap and sometimes helicoil and you have a very satisfactory repair.

It does not take as long as it sounds here, and is nothing in welding / work time compared to what heathy is doing on his exhaust.

I guess this is more FWIW info at this point but thought I would pass it on.