How Do The High Scores Work?

smudger984

Just done some searching......

The penalty for travelling in the reverse direction of the route is

disqualification. For missing the section or sub-section the penalty is

50 marks. Competitors who miss more than two sub-sections or one

complete hill in a single day will be liable for disqualification.

We didn't have this benefit years ago when I rode; miss a section and you were out. Nor could you ask for a five, I seem to recall you had to get through both the start and ends cards even if you came out of the section in between.

I can see some logic in the "new" rule, and the organisers have absolutely no way of knowing who "Joe Bloggs" is in trials terms when he enters but it must really rankle with those who did not get an entry to see, as witnessed yet again this year, riders touring round the Highlands with no apparent intention of riding the sections.

I have a similair question to SMUDGER984 but I want to know what column 32 is for on the daily score sheet. I know that 31 is for Time penalties and all the other 30 are for the sections.

What is column 31 for?

Cheers.

to be fair i didnt see any highland 'tourists'. trials is a competative sport both against others but with yourself and sure many riders might find the sections above thier abilities but hey with almost 300 places up for grabs thiers room for everybody.

check out the pre65's issues they d used up the reserve list a fortnight before the start and even were offering rides at 9.15 friday morning , in factwere told that next year 6 of last weekends starters would have not been allowed to start at all.

the p65 comittee have a real issue that they are doing thier best to solve. every rider has thier part to play, the first being dont enter if you might not ride, dont enter on the off chance ,donty accept a reserve spot unless you can accept a ride less than 48hrs before the start, dont enter on an inappropriate bike, dont turn up on something you know to be a wrong un..

to be fair i didnt see any highland 'tourists'. trials is a competative sport both against others but with yourself and sure many riders might find the sections above thier abilities but hey with almost 300 places up for grabs thiers room for everybody.

check out the pre65's issues they d used up the reserve list a fortnight before the start and even were offering rides at 9.15 friday morning , in factwere told that next year 6 of last weekends starters would have not been allowed to start at all.

the p65 comittee have a real issue that they are doing thier best to solve. every rider has thier part to play, the first being dont enter if you might not ride, dont enter on the off chance ,donty accept a reserve spot unless you can accept a ride less than 48hrs before the start, dont enter on an inappropriate bike, dont turn up on something you know to be a wrong un..

I don't think the Pre'65 necessarily mirrors the Six Days but I see even T&MX commented this week on the number of riders not bothering with the sections. If you're in a competition with yourself but not doing sections then you've lost the contest.

"Don't enter if you might not ride". I agree with you 100% but at least somebody not riding in the SSDT leaves a space for someone who has spent money preparing and turned up hoping to get his turn off the reserve list. I must ask the backmarkers if the "tourers" cause problems over the rough as well. By the way, I'm no ace, but when I rode the Scottish I made a go of it. And don't enter now because I know I couldn't justify denying a younger more competent rider the chance though I would love to do it again.

Edited by 2/4

I can see some logic in the "new" rule, and the organisers have absolutely no way of knowing who "Joe Bloggs" is in trials terms when he enters but it must really rankle with those who did not get an entry to see, as witnessed yet again this year, riders touring round the Highlands with no apparent intention of riding the sections.

You're right - there's not a lot that we can do when we don't know the riders. However, it's worth noting that every observer distinguishes between 'asked' fives and genuine fives in their books, and every asked five is keyed into the system as such. We generate a report at the end of the trial of those who have asked for fives and if they are deemed to have done so too often, then their entry is excluded from future ballots so they don't get the chance to waste a place again in the future.

Can't imagine what you mean stevie :huh:. The tourers have been known to cause us more than a few problems holding us up and they aren't always foreigners. . You have to laugh at times tho, some of the things ive witnessed are hysterical. :chairfall:

• Like 1

The tourists are a bloody menace & can make a hard week a lot more difficult. You pass them over the rough stuff but by the time you've looked at the next group they arrive & immediately cause hassle. if you're not sharpish they'll be in front of you again & you have to wait 10 minutes to ride the sections, as a bonus they thoroughly rotivate it for you. It gets better towards the end of the week as they're that shagged they can't keep up but then you start catching the ones that are 30 numbers in front. I once got caught out by that Jap lass that was crap, she got between me & my riding buddies 2 groups before lunch on the Thursday, she wasted that much time getting stuck in a double sub that it took me almost to Fersit to catch them up again.

Talking of Japs, a few years ago, how the hell did you get the big bugger that was knackered off Rannoch Moor & was refusing to go on?

They pay their money the same as everyone else.

Yes but in my opinion they cause more hold ups than the friend groups of more able riders, who possibly now may be penalised by being split up. With the current reluctance to give 'delay' particularly in the long double subs, it can reduce the rding enjoment of many.