New Scorpa Keeps Dying

trilabite

Thanks guys. All great advice. Normally my first response would be to take the dam thing back. This is not the kind of thing that a guy should have to deal with on a brand new bike. Problem is the dealership is over an hour away in traffic. So much for a new bike for the long weekend. Frustrated to say the least. The guy was nice enough, and granted it worked fine at the shop. But that means nothing when you finally start going up hill. THE ONE DAM THING YOU NEED THE MOST! LOL Well I'm bringing it back, and might just go with my first idea Ossa, or Montesa. Nothing against Scorpa! Im sure there great. But I'll just wait for the bike for me to come in.

Thanks again guys for all the advice!

Better to have a problem straight away than a couple months down the road. With all the time spent you could of had the bike back to the dealer and give him a shot at making things right. If it was a small issue you would be riding this weekend.

almost sounds like stator breaking down , i know gas gas have had problems with the new 80cc bikes after only 2nd outing

I think you may be right Zerorev. The symptoms are the same, run for about 5 minuets. Then she dies. Seems to be when the engine warms up. When the engine does quit it does it quick, about 1 to 1.5 seconds. Then its a paper weight for about half hour before I can get it started again. Not very impressed with this machine.

That sounds about right. I think the first two stalls were coincidence. I did a few tests with just keeping the bike on level ground and putting around in circles till the bike warmed up. Then it would stall out and stay that way for about 30 mins. It could be the Stator? I've actually never had an issue with a stator, and cant even fathom why it only fails when the engine runs for about 5 minuets. Seems that kind of issue would be present with a cold or warm engine. also how can Scorpa let a bike go with an issue like that? Don't they run the engine before it goes out the door to make sure stuff like this doesn't happen? The whole thing stinks really, kind of turned me off to Scorpa all together.

I can't know this for sure and I'm not playing devils advocate for the manufacturer but I would be surprised if any new trials bike was run for more than 5mins prior to going to its first customer.

(In my limited experience):-

The problem with a stator is sometimes related to the hall effect sensor which checks the position of the crank and triggers the ignition pulses accordingly.

If it fails, it seems that it performs very strangely (when it gets hot) and causes all manner of problems from mis-firing to; retarding the ignition to; failing to spark at all. :wall:

I can't understand its failure rate in a modern trials bike because, after all, it's a solid state component???

Can anyone comment with more technical savvy?

I'm not sure about the stator thing. Usually they work or they don't. I'm thinking fuel tank vent problem. I know this has probably been addressed here somewhere, but make sure your gas tank vent is clear. My 2008 Scorpa has a vent tube that runs from the cap down along the frame. It got partially pinched and I experienced almost the same thing you did. I reran the line to insure it was open, and haven't had a problem since.

Same thing happened on a buddy's Sherco that had some sort of wiz bang one way valve on it. It appeared to work when he blew through it, but it didn't causing the bike to stall after a few minutes. Let it stand for a few minutes, and enough air would finally bleed into the tank to start it again. He took off the valve, ran a piece of tube and has been fine since. Worth a shot.

Perhaps your right about not running the bike at the factory to phase out any issues like this. I honestly don't know the protocal.

@Ridgrunr, certainly a good point. That was one of the first things I tried actually. I pulled the fuel line off the shut off valve on the tank and ran a hose off it into a cherry can. Opened it up and fuel was flowing just fine. Tested the vent at the top, checked it and all looked good. Then I pulled apart everything from the tank down to the carb. Opened it up pulled everything apart down to the last needle. All clear as a bell. Floats moved smoothly and confirmed the float hight. Float needle smooth as silk. Nice little carb actually. Put it all back together and fired it up same thing. As soon as I feel the engine getting warm she dies. I let it cool and tried this about 6 more times. Same thing. I actually just returned the bike yesterday and have made a switch to another brand. Not because I think Scorpa suck, just because I used it as an excuse to go and order my first choice. Which I will have in 4 weeks. Hopeully. :/ I'm going to check in with the mechanic and find out what it was. I'll post it and let all the folks know here!

Possibly? The engine looks identical, I actually went off the Sherco manual when looking into things. If the Sherco has issues, then the Scorpa probably does? Hopfuly they can figure it out if this seems to happen allot. Could be a great bike in the end.

I am not sure if these are set up exactly the same as the Sherco ignitions on the later models which have a separate CDI and ignition coil.

As with any electronics, anything is possible specially off new.

My understanding is the ignition coils may be the higher probability item within the system. Easy enough to try I suppose.