Btc! What's Happened?!

benwibberley

Talked to a few of the riders, What few spectators were left and one or two other interested "Parties". Most of the riders weren't happy. And indeed were not happy at the first round. Many Spectators were confused and by the time we arrived at Midday the car park wasn't that full.

Various comments were picked up including a rumour that the sections were not as laid out by the CofC. Certain "old" riders had been "tweaking" them.

The "Harsh" five Browny received at the last section was justified. He stopped at the bottom of the slope. The observer did miss a few marks there though. It has to be said a few sections were never going to be No-Stop. Lastly the entry was pretty much as last years. BUT they couldn't fill all the available Entries only 72 when 100 were available Given that they had to turn riders away last year that does not bode well. Given that the observers did get stick that they don't normally I doubt they will ever run TSR22B again.

As for Scarborough. Well That Centre is TSR22A STOP and I expect Scarborough to put on a good Trial. But that isn't the type of Trial they normally do so we will have to see how it turns out.

Edited by Telecat

Stop is for an era that's long gone. Uk is currently run by a management that's not worthy though out period. Detached from shop floor until the last man most likely served his life switches the light off .

We should listen to these guys who do the job not judge them as an arm chair critic

OTF I was at Diggle the Previous Evening for a Spen Valley Trial and 35 riders turned out for a new venue at 5.30 in the evening. All sections were observed. Most Observers are happy to mark TSR22A. It's easy and makes for a bit of banter with the riders.

Well said Ben, i did go to the trial on sunday, and the word was the importers had alterd the sections, the organisors were not happy, and i dont blame them, there was no riders meeting after practice, as the importers said they had spoke to the riders already,

so organisors not happy/ Sponser not happy/ riders not happy/ observers not happy/ paying spectators not happy/

so what is the point,

PS The importers will NOT be altering any sections at Scarborough, That i promise

By the way , from my recent experience , if i marked everyone to the letter of the 'no-stop' law , most riders would have fived my section at some point. But i didn't 5 anyone for stopping because i think the no-stop rules are OUTDATED , DANGEROUS , and IMPOSSIBLE to observe correctly.

And did i get any abuse ? Nope .

But what i did get were lots of smiling happy riders , thanking me for observing. :)

Well done for observing but surely here lies part of the problem. I could ride your section totally non stop using deliberate dabs to get round tight parts for a 3. The the next guy hops and stops, should be fived and gets away with a clean. How's that fair?

If there's a set of rules we should stick to them, it's the only way. If it's still not working go back to hopping, the clubs can still run either at club level.

But this is getting away from Ben's point. Ben I agree 100% with you and well done for airing your views.

• Like 2

Unfortunately most of the pocket venues that the BTC are run in will have to the sections manufactured to a cirtain degree resulting in sections that don't flow thus not lending its self to no stop. The ACU went back to no stop then they also have stated that several of the big nationals be used as rounds of the btc. Big mileage single laps with sections more often than not in flowing steam beds. I know it wouldn't be quite as simple as that but you get the idea.

When i try to rope people in to observe the most common reason they give for not doing so is that they have recieved or experienced in the past abuse or arguements from riders and they dont want to observe again because of that. Seriously thats the most common response i get. Second is they dont want to "get it wrong". It may be different in your area and clubs there are obviously inundated with people wanting to observe but i do know a lot of clubs struggle especially in this centre to get all sections observed. At our last trial only two turned up.

The fact that you decided to observe a non stop trial to your own interpretation of what you consider the rules should be is between you and the clerk of the course and nothing to do with me.

I observed the same way as every other observer in that club did , does and always will. I used common sense. No-stop is almost impossible to mark consistantly , that is probably what is causing said arguments and putting people off observing.

By the way , down here in the south we have lots of problems getting enough people to observe , and if the observers job becomes more difficult as it has in my opinion , then that situation will only get worse.

Getting back on topic , i have recently spoken to a few of the best riders in the country and every one of them without exception totally dislikes the no-stop rules .

But what do they know ? :unsure:

• Like 1

Well done for observing but surely here lies part of the problem. I could ride your section totally non stop using deliberate dabs to get round tight parts for a 3. The the next guy hops and stops, should be fived and gets away with a clean. How's that fair?

If there's a set of rules we should stick to them, it's the only way. If it's still not working go back to hopping, the clubs can still run either at club level.

But this is getting away from Ben's point. Ben I agree 100% with you and well done for airing your views.

To be fair Steve , my section was not tight and could be ridden without stopping , it was a tough section for the clubmen and pre 65's , if a guy gets stuck on a log , both feet down , pushing till his eyes are popping out (momentarily stopping) should i five him ? or let him have a three for effort ? and what about the youngsters who need all the encouragement they can get ? You've got to use a bit of common sense , whatever the rules are.

By the way , i do mark everyone the same .

• Like 1

The importers actually eased the sections, not made them harder.

The crowds were lower than last year but I doubt that's to do with the no-stop rules. How would they know not to turn up because it wouldn't be as good to watch. Next year they could make that decision but not this unless they found last year boring to watch which was stop allowed.

This venue was always going to struggle with a non-stop British championship round.

I didn't find it very interesting to watch as the sections I watched we're too hard for the majority of riders and observing tended to be to the rule. Stop and you got a five.

Most non-stop trials I ride are never observed so keen as these British Championships are and a touch of leniency makes for enjoyable trials. This very keen observing will kill off no-stop. If the SSDT was observed like this scores would absolutely rocket and there wouldn't need to be a ballot!!! Yes some observers will be dead keen but most are a touch more relaxed.

• Like 1

Well said Ben and well done for coming on here to voice your opinion.

So...... Anyone would think that those of us who were shot down and chastised for airing our views and opinions might be right after all!

No Stop is a BIG step backwards for trials and BTC

So basically 2 rounds in and both trials and the rules have been unanimously disliked by riders, observers and seemingly spectators.

What a great way to encourage more riders and spectators to the sport :

Run trials with rules the riders hate

Run trials that are boring and confusing to spectate

Bravo ACU, bravo.

Not that you'll be reading or paying any attention to anyone's views.

• Like 1

Not that you'll be reading or paying any attention to anyone's views.

That's bollocks. John Collins spends a LOT of time putting together extensive posts on all sorts of ACU-related matters on these forums. He doesn't have to do that.

The ACU implemented these changes for the good of the sport. if it doesnt work so be it but something had to be tried.

the S3 championship was improved by a change to no stop so it was surely worth a try with the British championship.

Perhaps Mr Beatabeta should put himself up for election at the ACU and show us all how it should be done!

Edited by Timp
  • Like 1

Glad some of you ain't running my company!

The old process most agreed was broke, the new process is 2 jobs in and not tried and tested and some want to go back to the original broken process?

• Like 1