Montesa Repsol Factory Vs Repsol Replica

trilabite

Hey all!

Very excited about a new Montesa Repsol I just ordered. Just for fun, I was wondering if anyone knew how diferent the Repsol Replica was from the actuall factory bike. I know the Gas Gas Raga replica is fairly true to the factory bike is this the same for Montesa?

Also for those that have been running a Repsol what do you thing of it? This would be my first 4stroke trials bike, I'm curius to know more about it. I have to wait about 4 weeks for mine to show up. :/

Cheers!

LOL doesn't phase me much. I figured he would have custom stuff all over the place. Can it be 100k thought? How the hell do you fit that kind of money in there. Diamond laced clutch cover? :) More importantly what are the major differences?

rear shock 35.000 euro's ( thats development costs included ) and i've heard the whole bike 300.000 (again development costs incl.)

big difference is the weight of the bike (+- 65 kg) and the power ( 300 cc and very trick injection ignition ) and suspension

but the stock 4rt is a nice bike to ride not as capable like the 2 stroke stuff but more than capable for 90% of trials riders

Edited by bobtlr

rear shock 35.000 euro's ( thats development costs included ) and i've heard the whole bike 300.000 (again development costs incl.)

big difference is the weight of the bike (+- 65 kg) and the power ( 300 cc and very trick injection ignition ) and suspension

but the stock 4rt is a nice bike to ride not as capable like the 2 stroke stuff but more than capable for 90% of trials riders

No one here knows the cost of Bou's bike. Any numbers given are pure speculation.. The main differences are HRC motor 300cc, Factory Showa suspension and weight. Lots of titanium and magnesium bring it down the the FIM minumum for WTC.

None of the factory boys ride standard bikes. Its just that some factory teams provide their riders with better equipment than others. Enjoy your bike and tell the critics to stuff it!

Your lovely new Repsol Rep, is nothing like the Factory bikes, apart from looking very similar. Each works bike is hand built, most of what you cannot see, is custom made, buy either HRC, or a 3rd party, of either titanium, magnesium alloy or carbon fibre. The frame is stock as far as I know, but the suspension is nothing like a customer bike, the engine is completely custom and the bike weighs less than RAGA's bike. There quite a few stock parts on it, but all the important bits are much lighter.

I've had mine for 10 months now, love it, even though I am completely unable to ride it to a decent standard (novice over 40). Ive spent a bit changing to a flat tank, Colomer levers ;0), renthal grips, Mitani 27mm front pipe and 9 - 43 sprockets to gear it down (slows the bike down in tight sections). If you haven't got or had a 2 stroke, you should find no problems adapting to the 4 stroke style. Just make sure you adjust all the controls to how they should be and how you like them, don't open the throttle when you start the bike and if you have any problems with it starting (there a bit harder before there run in), don't keep kicking it over, just reset the throttle and it will start first kick. (Piddocks do a mod that improves starting, speak to Mick).

It's a great bike and seen a bit of a revival around these parts lately, it's not like any other bike and is a bit like marmite, but virtually everyone I know who has one thinks it's the best bike they've ever had. Hope you do too.

Well said Artie, and figured more or less that's the deal. From what I've seen the 4RT has endless power, and seen amazing things done with the bike. Of course its all about the rider. Once I get mine im going to see what parts can be created lighter might build some Magnesium componets. (I run some cnc Machinery at home.) I get some good prices on Magnesium billet. The new stuff is gool to about 20% lighter the Aluminum and less likely to catch fire. A dream come true. :)

• Like 1

Thanks JJ65! Awesome info and thank you. I'm saving all your points for reference. This is my first full trials bike, last thing I rode was a KTM 530, and I rode her hard. Will be good to switch gears. (pun) Seems everyone that rides Montesa loves them, I'm sure I will too. I bombed around on my buddies Gas Gas raga a bit and it was fun, but all the maintanance stuff steered me towards Montesa. Not too worred about the weight. Way I see it if I master a heavier bike, makes me that much stronger a rider. ;P

One thing I would say would be nice is if all this RnD that Montesa/Honda pumps into their Team bike were to trickle down to there replica. They seem so far apart, at least offer these nifty inovations as an upgrade to the Montesa fans. It's shamefull what I've spent on suspention upgrades on other bikes. Give me a chance would be fun to do it with the Montesa ;)

The standard 2012 bike is excellent, BUT :0) you can improve it, depending on how deep your pockets are, BUT, you really don't need to do anything. Most of what I've done is bling/farkle ;0). Have a gander on BANYERERS site if you find the need to spend some more :0), Josep was Fuji's minder and mechanic and is still involved, so knows a thing or two about Monts. The way a bike is set up can make or break how it rides.

LOL sounds good I already have my Banyer's account. Im a huge tech junky and love building mods for my bikes. Can't wait to tweek and twiddle on it to get things really humming. Just wish I didn't have to wait 4 weeks for her to come in! Worth it though, its 2200 to get it here by jet. Less then half of that by boat. Apperently bikes have been upgraded to (Dangerous goods). I would like someone to explain to me how a bike with no gas or oil in it is able to explode. Oh well, something to look forward to. Going to ride the p*** out of this thing. lol

You can make a 4rt much more competitive and interesting without breaking the bank. I had a '07 Repsol but I never rode it, I found it heavy against modern 2 strokes and could never make it grip. I was going to weigh it in but as I'd owned it from new and therefore knew it hadn't beed abused, I decided to give it a freshen so contacted Pidcocks.

I have had a 300 barrel and and Termignoni exhaust fitted, along with HRC cam, clutch and 2012 map. Frame, rear wheel and gear lever have been notched out and various nice touches like flat tank & frame mounted kill switch fitted.

Finally had a Rothmans decal set applied to sit along side an old RTL250S I have in the same. Pidcocks were excellent to deal with, informative and not as expensive as you might think for what is effectively a new bike.

Still waiting on some carbon bits and a Ti swing arm axle but I'm thrilled with the results so far, will try and upload a couple of picturespost-2974-0-48727600-1337809355.jpg

post-2974-0-55153000-1337809261.jpg