Bearing Bar Ends ?

popmonkey69

Has any body got experience of the Hebo (or any other ?) bar ends with the throttle bearing in them ???

Are they worth it or just go with standard bar ends ?

Cheers

I've used them for several years now. I was never a fan of the regular bar ends as they let dirt into the throttle tube way too easily but the bearing ends really work well. The throttle is always smooth and the ends are quite stout. One thing I found, for me anyway, is not to cut off the "rib" at the closed end of the grip and just cut a hole in the closed end of the grip small enough to pass the bar end shaft through. When I first installed the bar ends, I cut off that rib and the grips felt very uncomfortable with the edge of my palm rubbing the stationary bar end. It's amazing how little things involving the controls (lever angles/shapes, bar angles/height, grip patterns etc.) can drive one nuts, but that sure was one for me. I run the bearings on all my bikes as I know as a fact, that I will drop the bars on a rock the first time I ride the bike after installing a new set of grips.

Jon

Have them too installed even on my KTM, the main difference is the "lightness" of throttle action, it took a while before egtting used to it but then you miss something on bikes without these bearing, so I now have them on all my bikes. The hint from JSE is very good, but you have to have a hole in the grip rubber that doesn't touch the shaft of the bar end otherwise the rubber "sticks".

The hebo ones I've been looking at have a good selection of shims with them to fit various bars

I have the Hebo ones on both standard and fat bars and never had them come loose. They remove

easily to change grips and don't get stuck in the bar like the old type.

PSchrauber's advice is good. On the throttle side make sure the hole is not too small as the throttle is

so smooth, you'll notice any drag.

Jon

I've got them on the fat bars on my fantic , with a metal domino throttle tube (little bit of dremal work with the metal tube ) but after more than one or two good face plants it still works super smooth and light :)

Glenn

I have the standard non bearing bar ends. I have no issues with the throttle tube as I do clean it after getting back from any ride where the bike is dropped on the throttle side.

I whip the tube off and clean up with contact cleaner and put back together. Works nice enough for me.

I'd like to try a bearing one though.

• Like 1

any advanages to have the bearing type over rather than the non bearing type?

i was thinking of splashing the cash a little on some bar ends and flexi levers as my bike spends a lot of time on the floor.

any advanages to have the bearing type over rather than the non bearing type?

i was thinking of splashing the cash a little on some bar ends and flexi levers as my bike spends a lot of time on the floor.

It makes the throttle action really smooth, especially when you're searching for traction with subtle input to the engine.

And, you don't have to clean it out after each ride, I clean my throttle tube maybe once or twice a year.

Jon

oh right, i thought they were to stop your throttle sticking on in a crash when the bike hits the floor.

ill give them a go if they promote throttle action. i come from a motocross background and i dont have throttle/clutch control! im either on or off!

how often should one be cleanig the throttle tube anyway? ive never done it.

You should only need to clean any throttle tube it if you have had a big off and it got full of mud or you dont know when it was last done. Trouble is bearings degrade over time without you knowing.

The bit you clean is the metal handle bar and the inside of the twist grip tube. A quick wipe over and NO OIL! Oil attracts the dirt and makes it rough again.

I treat it to a rub with fine sand paper as well if I feel posh.