Help, I Need To Borrow A 2001 Rev3 Cdi

photoboy

I had the stator rewound by west country windings, so i hope that that is fine, I put it all together and i only get an occasional spark when i press and release the kill button. nobody seems to know why. Tested and replaced wiring, earths etc etc etc 10 times, so i might have just have a bad CDi, Only way to know is to try a good un' and see if she runs. ??? Tried everything else.

I can collect anywhere 50 miles from london and will return plus several tins of beer in the same week. Would just buy a second had one, and keep it for a spare if the price was ok, but there are none about at the moment,and i need to get riding...

:unsure:

To test your CDI it would be better to put your CDI on a known good bike.

Rig up a power drill so you can spin your flywheel with it. Check the out put from the ignition source coil - expect to see over 20 volts AC at over 600 RPM. Does your bike have a trigger coil? if so check its output - typicallly 1.5 to 4.5 volts AC at 600 RPM.

Source coil resistance 200 to 300 ohms, trigger coil 1100 to 1300 ohms.

Your CDI produces a surge voltage (by discharging its capacitor) through the ignition coil causing the spark at the plug. The switching in your CDI unit should normally determine (in conjunction with a signal from trigger coil or waveform pattern) when this happens. Reverse dischaging your CDI via the kill switch could I suppose also cause a spark. This would suggest the switching circuit on your CDI or the trigger coil is faulty. I have seen both these fault on Gas Gas and betas.

Cheers

Try to contact the manufactorer. I bought once CDI direct from them and people there were very friendly. It was around 30 euros..

Hidria AET d.o.o

Poljubinj 89a

SI-5220 Tolmin

Slovenia

T: +386 5 3821 000

F: +386 5 3821 405

E: sales.aet@hidria.com

www.hidria.com

Edited by samo

JSP - Lampkins can't help as beta do not sell those CDIs any more, they only offer a kit with a revised stator/flywheel/cdi/coil for about 300+vat (not worth it on an old bike like mine)

Samo - i will try the manufacture's, as they might be ale to help, who knows?

Dafof2 - I was worried that it could be the trigger coil, but i took the bike back to west country windings and they tested the trigger coils and the source coil while i kicked over the bike and they said they were all fine and it must be a wiring problem... but i have had the wiring re done by martin wittering of torque racing, he is fantastic, and says he is 99% it is the CDI that is at fault, still i would like to test it anyway, as it looks like it is going to be a mare to find any replacement without paying though the nose... thanks for your help guys.

I am still eager to find someone with a running 2001/2 250 so i can try my Cdi and find out if it is 100% the problem, I am happy to come anywhere around london, the bike is near welling garden city at the moment.

If you really get stuck then any 4 wire cdi for a 2 stroke will do or even a fixed advance cdi off a 4 stroke honda 90. These can be picked up at breakers for next to nothing. Consider a scooter CDI - the ones with switchable characteristics to get round the 50cc speed restriction.

Cheers

Dadof2

I did consider the idea of running a £20 generic switchable cdi on my beta.... But aren't the pickup coils on these 2001 rev3s a little unusual? i seem to remember the guys at west country windings telling me that they were hard to test, suggesting they are different? Which might mean they give a pickup signal, that a generic cdi might not "see"?

Also I assumed that the advance curve for a proper "trials" Cdi would be very flat to give steady torque at low rpm, and the switchable scooter ones the exact opposite, no torque, massive advance, screaming rpm, power poor at tickover...

There must be a cheap steady two stroke cdi out there that would make a good substitute for the beta one... something very common and easy to find for peanuts second hand.... maybe the c90 one is perfect? Please suggest one and i will buy one off ebay and try it...

• 6 years later...
On 6/5/2012 at 8:53 PM, photoboy said:

Dadof2

I did consider the idea of running a £20 generic switchable cdi on my beta.... But aren't the pickup coils on these 2001 rev3s a little unusual? i seem to remember the guys at west country windings telling me that they were hard to test, suggesting they are different? Which might mean they give a pickup signal, that a generic cdi might not "see"?

Also I assumed that the advance curve for a proper "trials" Cdi would be very flat to give steady torque at low rpm, and the switchable scooter ones the exact opposite, no torque, massive advance, screaming rpm, power poor at tickover...

There must be a cheap steady two stroke cdi out there that would make a good substitute for the beta one... something very common and easy to find for peanuts second hand.... maybe the c90 one is perfect? Please suggest one and i will buy one off ebay and try it...

What  did you end up doing about this? I have a similar problem.