Problem !

hi guys been having a problem

i have the skill

i have the bike

i have the gear

but i dont have the confidence to put em to use i was wondering what can i do to give myself that confidence i always leave to power until i have to and i never give it enough

as soon as theres a marker i completely lose confidence

it reflects alot in my scores :(

thanks in advance

It is a common problem and I have been riding since I was 16 (pre65) me and the first bike Go out with pals tackle any thing but markers down hopeless Go round with a friend with same skill as you and compete against each other You will find you will improve and become more relaxed scores fall mine did Watch riders lines and actions My skill is still there my bike is ok my fitness is not any more (Must re new the bus pass again)

Edited by Naichuff

Paul, keep riding all you can. Especially with a buddy. (best to find one just a little better than yourself) Make sections while riding, and eventually you will just come by most obstacles naturally without any thought to it. I would say that you are causing too much pressure. Trials is just fun. You against yourself. You are not going to make a living at it and no one should care about your score either!

Of course it would be nice to do well every so often, but trials takes weeks and years of growing your skills.

Try in think about the reality of the situation, just a bunch of blokes riding round in the mud and who cares or bothered about it come evening. I try this n sometimes it helps but I still get first section jitters still 21 years on.

Oooo Flag Shy.

Ok so years ago, i used to do Archery and for Yorkshire, but early on my coach and i realised i was 'Gold Shy' Gold being the centre of the traget.

So what we did, was to over time fold the target down bit by bit to take the other colours away, so after a bit of time, all i had to shoot at was the centre of the target! Forcing my mind to get over the easier options.

So to your point, and most others in Trials, with no flags you feel like a pro, and go up anything. Thats because you have infinite options of Lines! So Set some sections out with Really Wide gates, this will give you lots of room for error whilst getting used to the flags. Then over time, reduce the size of the gate.

Hopefully you can see what i'm getting at with the 2 stories? :closedeyes:

I've just purchased a set of 10 red and blue flags from to use when I go practicing as its all to easy to take the easy option out. Some of the climbs where I go practicng are more severe than the trials route I ride but the difference is on the trial there will be a sharp turn before you get to the top or bottom or there will be cross camber riding. I'm hoping that laying out practice sections will help and as an earlier poster said gradually increase the difficultly. Even a shallow bank can become difficult with imaginative flag placement!

I think this affects a lot of clubman riders...

Gary.

Edited by JoeNinety