Montesa

fatbastard

I was under the impression that Honda owned and made the bikes. Speaking to someone who works for Honda they were under the impression that they just supplied the engines.

So question is how much is Honda parts on the bikes?

I was under the impression that Honda owned and made the bikes. Speaking to someone who works for Honda they were under the impression that they just supplied the engines.

So question is how much is Honda parts on the bikes?

Honda owns Montesa....................At last count Honda had factories in over 23 countries around the world. The factory in Spain is called Montesa-Honda.

Just because someone "works for Honda" doesn't mean they know everything that goes on within the company. With a company that big, probably few do.

They are all Honda parts because Honda is an owner of Montesa. Maybe you are asking what countries are the various parts made in?

No I was just confirming that Honda do make the parts and build the bikes.

I always thought the bikes were reliable and well made with them being Honda owned, I thought it strange when he said they just supplied the engines so wondered why the rest of the bike didn't fall to bits like other makes of bikes.

Edited by fatbastard

From what i remember, Honda bought Montesa around 1983. At the time certain Montesa's were painted in Honda -ish colour's being Orange-ish/Red frame's and tank-seat unit's, with white mudguards, and called Montesa Honda, being of 123, 200 and the 349 model's, Montesa having thier own colour scheme, of red frame's and white plastic's on the 123, 200 and 349 model's, but keeping the then new 242 in it's own colourscheme of white tank-seat unit, with red frame and mudguards.

As far as i can remember, the last actual Montesa engined bike was the 311 of the early 90's, never ridden one myself, but been told they were a good bike.

Then followed by the 314 that had a HRC engine, have not seen many of those around, sorta speak's for itself, lol.

Then the 315 (also with a HRC engine), fantastic bike, (wish i still had my 03), and now the 4RT.

Lastly, i understand that most of the bike is in fact of Italian and Japanese build, and assembled in Spain, ie, the engine is made by Honda Italia, frame is made by the same people that make the Beta frame's, where-as the suspension is made in Japan by Showa, making one fantastic bike ;) (Now on my third 4RT, oooh yush.)

Lastly, i read somewhere that Montesa are supposed to be working on a 'new' bike, don't know if it's just a revised 4RT, or a completely new model, wait and see i suppose, just that something would have been leeked out by now.

Regards

GaffaMont

Edited by GaffaMont

All the spare parts come in Honda bags when you order them, if that helps ?

I understood that the engine is built in Japan, more than likely at the HRC division, then shipped to Montesa-Honda factory in Barcelona for assembly there

Frames come from Verlicchi (sp) in Italy to Barcelona for assembly

Most components come from the Japanese Honda factories (wheels etc)

Some other components are European, Bars/grips/levers/throttle/ tyres

Edited by Johnnyboxer