Air Filter Oil Question

neilh

Filter oil is "Special" because it has a "Tackifier" which stops the oil draining to the bottom of the filter leaving the top portion dry - trick is to leave the filter out of the bike overnight before fitting, to ensure the best result - do not over-oil.

Just curious but why would you want to use something else?, it's not exactly overpriced and a bottle lasts a long time

Air filter oil is tacky like Dave mentioned and wont settle to the bottom of the filter

It wont gel if water gets in it, it won't catch fire

I don't think there is a suitable alternative

im asking because im a mechanic, and i work in a garage.

i have access to all different types of oils in abundance, which i can have for free.

this in turn will reduce any expense and out goings i have on bike maintainance.

to put it quite simply, i think this "special" oil is a gimmick.

if i have to purchase it i will, but i wont if i already have 45 gallons of a particular oil that will do the job nicely.

I'm a mechanic too and I can say air filter oil is special stuff, not like anything else in our trade.

A bottle of it will last you for ages too, so expense-wise it won't be high up your list.

I use the aerosol stylee myself; clean & dry your filter, a light spraying with yer posh air filter oil, massage in and leave overnight to dry. I have a couple of filters on rotation to take the hassle out of it.

Robert's your mothers brother.

I did try the non aerosol style but found I kept over oiling the filters, never could get it quite right.

I have heard of people simply washing their filters in premix and leaving them overnight then banging them straight back in the bike. Not sure I fancy that myself, but each to his own.

Before there was "air filter" oil people used car engine oil or two stroke premix oil on foam air filters. It will work fine if you oil the filter the night before, or on the day of the ride. Not long after that though it migrates downwards, making a bit of a mess in the filter casing, and leaving the top section dry. I use a proper air filter oil mainly so I can service the air filter well in advance of the ride when I have the time available.

Maybe you don't quite get how a filter works, the oil IS the filter, the foam just suspends the oil

It it's very thick but has a carrier that evaporates so it goes on thin and afterwards it gets gooey

There's no engine or gear oil like it

Both me and my son have trials bikes. Both bikes get the filters cleaned and filter oiled EVERY weekend. I have just bought a new aerosol of filter oil , it cost about a tenner !! This is the first one I've bought in over 12 months !! I don't think cost is an issue for the correct stuff.

Phil

Edited by Pistonbroke

ok i tihnk you're all completely missing my point.

ive got no problem buying the air filter oil if thats all that will do the job correctly. regardless of whether it costs a tenner for a year or not.

im simply saying that if there is some other, more generic oil out there that will do the job then i may already have some as we buy oils in bulk.

ive got no problem buying the air filter oil if thats all that will do the job correctly. regardless of whether it costs a tenner for a year or not.

im simply saying that if there is some other, more generic oil out there that will do the job then i may already have some as we buy oils in bulk.

I doubt you will find a good, safe generic replacement. The qualities of motorcycle foam filter oil are quite specific, for one, the dispersing solvent

is designed not to deteriorate the open cell foam material or the special cement used to hold the filter together. Get the wrong oil and you've just

ruined a lot of customer's engines.

Jon

Can’t see your point, why would you want to use anything other than the correct oil?

If you had loads of filter oil would you use that for a car oil changes,, or do you use any old oil… :lol:

As your a mechanic I would think the answer is quite obvious

Edited by Monty_Jon