Trials Newbie, Advice Appreciated

craigh88

Hi everyone. This is my 1st post here and I'm new to the trials world so hello. I have been riding MX and enduro for a good few years an now fancy a go at trials, hopefully it will be a little more relaxed and friendly scene, certainly than MX is.

Anyway I have just bought this little darling for the princely sum of 370 great british pounds. Little rough around the edges but it's all there to get me started hopefully. http://item.mobileweb.ebay.co.uk/viewitem?itemId=160810939073

My question is, it's says in the add it's 175cc Gas Gas contact, I have tried to do a little research into this model but can't find much info? Are these bikes any good? Any common faults or things to look out for? As I said, totally new to the scene so any help really is appreciated. Thanks in advance. Craig.

Cheers Paul. Yeh that's all I want it for, just to learn the basics and make sure trials is for me, then if I like it I'll sell my enduro bike and buy a newer one. Any common faults on these? I.e to do with the clutch? Thanks.

Hi and welcome

You should certainly find the trials world a lot friendlier and cheaper than MX :hyper:

Looks allright for no money Gas Gas Contact TXT 200

If the clutch is working just dragging then change the oil, use the search box to confirm but you should be OK with ATF Dextron II

That and a good dose of WD40 on some of that rust

Excellent news, so the bike is actually a txt200 then? That makes finding parts easier. Lol. I plan to fully strip it, clean it and grease everything just to make sure everything is safe and working ok. I know it's not brand new but if it does the job I'm happy for the few pennies it cost. Thanks for all the help, it's rare to find a friendly helpful forum it seems.

Craig,

Welcome to trials riding. Here are some trials tips from an ex-enduro rider.

1) Keep your knees out wide. Don't try to hug the bike like in enduro and MX.

2) Keep your head out on turns. As soon as you move your head to the inside, you will dab.

3) More throttle is NOT the answer to all problems. More throttle CONTROL is the answer.

4) Don't be in a hurry to jump to a more powerful bike. Unless you are attacking really big obstacles, you do not need huge power. The lower power bike will force you to learn the technques better.

5) Most importantly, have fun!

The older TXT's seem to work best with ATF in the gearbox. The clutches all seem to drag a little, even with new oil. WHen you drain the oil, check to see if it is just dirty or if it is milky. If milky, the seal in the water pump is leaking. Water in the oil will make the clutch drag lke crazy. Also, antifreeze will eventually dissolve the glue that holds the fiber plates to the clutch disks - the clutch then works like an on-off lever with lots of drag.

Some good advice there thanks a lot, might make tht learning curve a little easier.

So is it ok to use regular car ATF in the gearbox? I can get this from work so that would be great if it's the best thing to use. Also with the 2stroke I'll be using ipone as its what I like and trust, am I right in thinking about 80ml to 5L is about right?

Hi everyone. This is my 1st post here and I'm new to the trials world so hello. I have been riding MX and enduro for a good few years an now fancy a go at trials, hopefully it will be a little more relaxed and friendly scene, certainly than MX is.

Anyway I have just bought this little darling for the princely sum of 370 great british pounds. Little rough around the edges but it's all there to get me started hopefully. http://item.mobilewe...Id=160810939073

My question is, it's says in the add it's 175cc Gas Gas contact, I have tried to do a little research into this model but can't find much info? Are these bikes any good? Any common faults or things to look out for? As I said, totally new to the scene so any help really is appreciated. Thanks in advance. Craig.

They made a 125 and 200 model in 1999, your VIN relates to the "200" model as I remember. at http://www.trialspartsusa.com/tech.html you'll find a bunch of well-organized info and videos to help you with the bike. We have a couple of the 99' 200s in our club and they are still going strong, good bike for a new rider.

Jon

Some good advice there thanks a lot, might make tht learning curve a little easier.

So is it ok to use regular car ATF in the gearbox? I can get this from work so that would be great if it's the best thing to use. Also with the 2stroke I'll be using ipone as its what I like and trust, am I right in thinking about 80ml to 5L is about right?

But the graduations on Ipone oil bottles are not accurate in my experience - use a syringe to get accurate oil measurements.

2/4 - yes I have noticed this, I measure it out into an accurate jug first before mixing it now.

That's why I thought it was a decent buy Neil. Surly it has hit its max depreciation now so when I sell it on I shouldn't loose too much, if anythin, on it. Going to collect tomorrow so hopefully it's as described and all is well

Hi all. I have been and collected the bike today. I must say I'm very impressed with it, it's much nicer in the flesh than on the pics. The clutch fault that it had, when I got there you couldn't put the bike in gear without it stalling but the seller said he had adjusted it in the leaver and since then he couldn't put it in gear?? Common sense told me to try adjusting the clutch again, nOw it will ride fine and go into gear as it should, the clutch just draggs a little so you have to feather the rear brake to keep it frim pulling forward. I'm going to change the g/box oil tomorrow see if this improves at all.

My main question now is am I ok mixing 80ml of oil to 5l fuel? I know it can vary but is this a good ballpark starting point? Thanks for reading. Craig.