Ty 175 Electronic Ignition

02-apr

If my efforts have not sorted my ignition problems this weekend then I'll be going electronic (reluctantly as the original was regarded as a good system).

There seem to be two systems on the market; Trail and Trials and Electrex World. The former advances to 25 degrees BTDC, the latter to 16 degrees BTDC.

Does anyone know how this compares to the standard set up at 1.8mm BTDC and/or have experience of the two to say how much effect the 9 degrees greater advance on the T&T one has compared to the other?

By the way the motor has been taken out to 200 but I have no idea how this has been achieved (I believe there is more than one way to do this).

Thanks.

Can't comment on the difference between the two but can say that the trails and trials one works really well and is quick and tidy to install!

Some say the electronic ignition is too advanced for the bike but guess that depends on what you want out of it and where you want it to go, it runs faultlessly straight out of the box (although had to make the mounting bracket up as it was missing).

The John Cane one fits neatly up in the frame under the fuel tank and works well.

The electrix one also works well, but requires the coil/black box to be fitted behind the plastic sidecover and supporting it requires some thought and ingenuity to achieve. It also means the HT lead is extremely long.

I also use the John Cane version which works very well and gives good clean drive from low rpm and revs out nicely.

I have not used the electrex one so cannot comment.

I suspect you would not feel a 9 degree advance in real life.

You may be right there, but there must be a reason why the designer chose extra advance. I have to say I don't feel the need for a power increase - having got used to modern bikes I'm having enough difficulty keeping the old-fashioned light front end down!

Edited by 2/4