Best Oil For Gas Gas Pro

cwill83247

From what I recall the Pros have the main crank bearings lubed by the gearbox oil so I don't know if ATF is good enough for that application.

Hopefully a responsible Gas Gas owner will be along in a minute to advise :hyper:

I have heard that atf swells the clutch pach and makes clutch drag!! I did try it on my Gas Gas txt pro 250cc 2010 and my clutch dragged quite abit. I had to remove whole clutch clean out and flush plates the refit. I then used some elf hdx740 which is transmission oil for the mont 315, and it is fantastic bit expensive but it is a very good oil. other oil is silkoline light gear oil which is cheap but just as good

Same here used ATF in my 05 raga had to strip & clean clutch plates.I now use Motul 300v recomended by Al (the spanner)Winter,after he rebuilt my bottom end so if its good enough for him thats all i needed to know :thumbup:

thanks for the replies glad i asked the question.. as wasnt sure and it wasnt about saving a few quid, just wanted to put the best stuff in, and alot of people seemed to say this atf stuff was the best due to the properties of the oil.. I read about the clutch plates swelling but it only seemed to apply to certain brand of clutch plates.

Thanks again really appreciated...

Hdx740 is 75w and is fully syn, bvm reccomended it for my Gas Gas. It is the best oil I have used. It is also reccomended for the monts 315 2stroke and the 4rt! And the 315's were known to be very fussy on there transmission oil. You will never have 100% no drag but you won't as little as you can!

I have cut and pasted this from the Gas Gas pro technical bulletin;

Transmission oil:

Recommend type: ATF DEXRON II

Alternatives: NOTE: We have a few customers using the type "F" automatic transmission oil with good results. Dramatically reducing, and in one known case eliminating the clutch pack swelling.

NOTE: Gas Gas Spain recommends only Dexron III automatic transmission oil at this time.

Oil type warning:

DO NOT USE #12378508 GM auto-trac II (blue) oil

Never use synthetic oil in the transmission~clutch. The synthetic oils are “stickier” and this adhesion tendency, when applied to the areas between the clutch plates contribute to excessive clutch drag. Some brands of synthetic oil will chemically react when mixed with water, (from creeks, rain, or waterpump seal leakage). This reaction alters the pH factor of the oil. This acidic condition accelerates corrosion of steel engine parts, and loosens the bond of the clutch fiber plate material. Please do not second-guess this information. We have twelve years of experience with the Herbringer/Adige brand clutch plate materials, and we are in direct contact with the technical departments at Herbringer, Adige, and Gas Gas Spain.

As previously said, there is so much conflicting information on this topic and I have to agree.

Even the technical bulletin you refer to recommends Dextron II and Gas Gas Spain only recommends Dextron III. At least they both recommend ATF but even they cannot agree on which spec of Dextron in the same message context. :wall:

And to throw in a little more data, take look at this evaluation of several different oil types... http://www.gasgasrid...evaluation.html

The previous owner of my 300 used Motul 75W light gear oil but when I got the bike and it shifted hard. I could not find the Motul locally so I used 75W Bel-ray gear saver oil which looks like red transimssion fluid. Shifts smooth now but has more clutch drag... DOH!

Edited by razorback

At the end of the day people will use what they are happy with and what beet suits there bike! No two clutches are the same. Me personally would keep the ATF in my auto boxes and cars steering racks! My opinion. Do your own tests and find the best oil for you and which works best in your bike. Don't let anyone say there is a wrong or write oil, as you can see everyone uses different oils so there can't be a write or wrong.

• Like 2

To make matters even more confusing, Gas Gas.com { http://www.Gas Gas.com/tech.htm ) says...

"Trans/Clutch Oil

Always 5W30 (Not 10W40), 350cc for the Pro, 650cc for other models, normal motor oil (Castrol/Penzoil etc). It is not recommended to use synthetic oil."

I suspect many fluids will work but I believe that there are fluids that should be avoided based on the type clutch material used... problem is finding that info is like trying to find a needle in a haystack for a newbie.

Edited by razorback