Sherco's - Which One To Buy Or Any Known Faults

hoggyf

Thought I'd try a question in here specific to the Sherco's - looking to change my old bike and like the look of the Sherco's but don't know a lot about them, only looking at the bottom of the price bracket £1200 - £1400 which seems to bet you a 2000 to around 2006 and they look much the same.

Any specific issues to be aware of or is it the usual buy on condition ??

My 2000 has held up resonably well. The underneath mounting tabs for the bash plate (near dog bones) are very weak and would bend up and crack. had them welded for a couple years in a row then I decided to beef them up with some plate steel and a small gusset and have not had any problems since.

It does the job, basically all the problems I have had with it were self induced, IE dropping it in stream and sucking in water and then running it for 2 years afterwards with all the silt and muck in the cases.

Another bonus is that it will crash well, not too many bits break when I crash.

Also the silencer is easier to repack than 2001 and up.

• 6 years later...
On 6/27/2012 at 6:59 AM, zippy said:

My 2000 has held up resonably well. The underneath mounting tabs for the bash plate (near dog bones) are very weak and would bend up and crack. had them welded for a couple years in a row then I decided to beef them up with some plate steel and a small gusset and have not had any problems since.

Also the silencer is easier to repack than 2001 and up.

zippy do you have any pictures of the gusset you added? I'm also looking for pictures of the silencer taken apart. I just bought a 2000 with the end cap partially welded on. I believe the mounting flanges or slip fit are no longer there. I'll need to take it to my friend to have the rear cap and end of the outside tube built to match what it was originally.

16 hours ago, cgunzelman said:

zippy do you have any pictures of the gusset you added? I'm also looking for pictures of the silencer taken apart. I just bought a 2000 with the end cap partially welded on. I believe the mounting flanges or slip fit are no longer there. I'll need to take it to my friend to have the rear cap and end of the outside tube built to match what it was originally.

unfortunately I cannot locate any pictures of  the gusset, but if memory serves me correctly it was basically just a small triangle that I welded to the mounting tab and frame.  But can't remember if it was on the outside edge of the tab or inside edge.

End cap of silencer should fit inside the tube portion of the silencer, and then held on by rivets.

I have not had that bike for quite some time, so I will not be able to get pictures. ?

• Thanks 1