Help Please

paul_stuart

If by "sump bolt rung" you mean the hex socket is stripped, you can take a torx bit a little larger and gently hammer it into the hex socket, then use it to unscrew the bolt. I used mine like that for about a year before I finally bought a new bolt.

About the oil, it is simply a gearbox with a wet clutch. Similar to a car automatic transmission. I know people who have driven 100000 miles without changing their transmission oil in their car and riders who ride for a year or more between changes. As long as you are not leaking water into the oil you can safely run for many hours between changes. As the oil gets dirty it will let you know by gradually increasing clutch drag.

Don't get me wrong. I do believe in changing oil to keep the gearbox in good condition. I also believe in using a magnetic drain plug to check for internal condition when I do change the oil.

If by "sump bolt rung" you mean the hex socket is stripped, you can take a torx bit a little larger and gently hammer it into the hex socket, then use it to unscrew the bolt. I used mine like that for about a year before I finally bought a new bolt.

About the oil, it is simply a gearbox with a wet clutch. Similar to a car automatic transmission. I know people who have driven 100000 miles without changing their transmission oil in their car and riders who ride for a year or more between changes. As long as you are not leaking water into the oil you can safely run for many hours between changes. As the oil gets dirty it will let you know by gradually increasing clutch drag.

Don't get me wrong. I do believe in changing oil to keep the gearbox in good condition. I also believe in using a magnetic drain plug to check for internal condition when I do change the oil.

The newer gassers actually lube the main bearings from the gear box oil. Dad is more right on this one.

The newer gassers actually lube the main bearings from the gear box oil. Dad is more right on this one.

I agree. Change it often for best results. Roller/needle bearings do not take kindly to dirty oil. A T-45 Torx bit will do the job with the drain

plug. Cut about 5mm off the end of your Allen wrench, it's undoubtedly worn and will strip the new plug quickly.

Jon