Are You Running Too Much Oil In Your 2T Mix?

copemech

So I have enjoyed this discussion

Who can tell me what the answer to the original question is

We need a definitive specific answer you know, this is the Internet here, we need to be accurate LOL

As far as your car goes, my motto is simple. The best oil is clean oil! For the most there is no extended interval for expensive synthetics and it is likely not worth the extra in a low stress environment. A turbocharged and or high stressed motor is another story, yet still change it regularly like your underwear! Yhis does not mean every 3000 miles, either.

I was amazed that my Renault Trafic Van wasn't due for a service until 18,000 miles from new.

I changed the oil and filters at 7000 anyway. When I went to book it in for it's first service recently, they told me that the service interval had now been increased to 20,000 miles.

It just doesn't seem right to use the same oil in a brand new engine for 20,000 miles!

0007 Surely a definitive, succinct answer was never an expectation of such a lucid, subjective topic? LOL :hyper:

Easy answer for you, Billy! 2tbs castor oil at bedtime, when you wake you will no longer be FOS! :stoned:

Cope. You wanna play?

I actually ride trials, I actually practise with other trials riders, I may not be that good a rider, but I ride! Please tell me when the last competition you rode was, the last time you practiced with a bunch of trials riders. I get all the Texas Yahoo mailings, scores and riders places your name is know where to be found anymore. Maybe ten years ago yes but recently I think not. Reading about trials on the net is not the same as actually riding trials. Get out and ride and less bench trialing.

0007 reply 78 - I cant agree with your statement that piston deposts have nothing to do with the oil.

An engine with the carburation spot on will have heavy deposits if castor oil is used, use mineral oil and the deposits will be less, use a modern FD spec semi or fully synthetic and there will be virtually no deposits. I know pepole use piston deposits as a tuning guide and many years ago have done so myself on kart engines when we used castor oils. I was at a kart track a few weeks ago, a lot of the competitors were using shell advance racing M at 16:1 and there were no deposits to see, just a greasy coating.

The comment that someone made abut Jeremy Magraths CR250 not smoking at 25:1 shows that with right oil and set up rich oil ratos run clean. I run my CR500 at 20:1 as per Hondas recommendation, it starts, pick ups and revs out no problem. The piston stays clean but there is some oil dribble from exhaust.

Talk about stociometric ratio on trials bikes is a bit of a waste of time. Most of the time they need to be well rich of stociometric. If you jetted your bike spot on for the start of a trial, say 500 ft above seal level and 8 degress in the morning, come the afternoon and you may be at 1200 ft above sea level and the temperature well over 20 degrees in sheltered rocky sections, the air density will have dropped well over 7% and you will be running far too rich. Atmospheric pressure also varies by frequently as much as 5% over a few days. (965 to 1015 mBar)

Getting back to the original question, more oil gives more power and less wear, deposits are not an issue, the only potential downside is you spend a bit more on oil.

Cheers

Cope. You wanna play?

I actually ride trials, I actually practise with other trials riders, I may not be that good a rider, but I ride! Please tell me when the last competition you rode was, the last time you practiced with a bunch of trials riders. I get all the Texas Yahoo mailings, scores and riders places your name is know where to be found anymore. Maybe ten years ago yes but recently I think not. Reading about trials on the net is not the same as actually riding trials. Get out and ride and less bench trialing.

" Please tell me when the last competition you rode was"-- Cannot recall, won the Central Regionals Amatures in '08 I think?

Went to TTC in March, rode there, ride in back of house mostly, no State series or other local events while putting sprig through uni, cannot afford those trips!

Lots of time and money finishing up my aircraft project as well, cannae do both.

In toutch yet out of shape for riding comps now, local practice area works well for me, 30 min and done! Maybe better if fall weather cools things a bit, but myself and a few others are waiting for that SR Novice class to open up so all them sandbagging Sr Amatures do not offend us!

"Getting back to the original question, more oil gives more power and less wear, deposits are not an issue, the only potential downside is you spend a bit more on oil.

Cheers

"

Thank you dadof2

It took a long time but someone finaly caught on to what I was hinting to. I asked this question way back at the beginning of the post.

I wrote

"First a question: What burns hotter a gasoline fire or an out and out oil fire? What would a fire fighter say is the hardest one to fight oil or gas?"

The point is oil not only lubricates but also burns hotter and providing more power..............

Edited by billyt

Nope, oil does not increase the thermal efficiency of the mix, it decreases it, oil burning in a bucket is not a scientific comparison, it's just there to lube the engine

Theoretically the more oil you have the less fuel you have so although it will help assist in ring seal it will not increase power

This is very minimal though, it might be measurable on the factory's dyno but you and I wont feel any diff in the seat of the pants, atmospheric pressure and altitude will make much more substantial difference in power output as will proper jetting