Fantic 240 Clutch Arm

majesty320

Hi Im trying to start the rebuild of my 240, the person who owned it previously has extended the clutch arm, but its to long and effects the operation. Can anyone tell me the best length for it. Also I want to put the side stand back on but the bracket has been cut off, ground flat and painted. I have a new bracket to weld back on, but need some help with the position. It would be handy if someone could give me some dimensions and a reference point so I dont have to rebuild the bike first to get the position correct.

Regards Mark

My clutch arm plus the aftermarket extender is 80mm center-to-center.I use Yamaha ty350 factory levers,not the Sunline aftermarket bend. Domino levers don't agree with me. I Did the Beta clutch fix labor intensive procedure to all the clutch discs. Adjust the center bolt of the clutch to position the release arm to as low an angle as your clutch cable will allow,this places the clutch actuator cam in the smoothest operating position.

My Kickstand pivot is 118mm from the swingarm pivot center,200mm from the lower shock mount.It sits at a 36 degree angle from vertical.My kickstand is 400mm long. It would be ok to be welded on a bit farther back on the swingarm if you need the clearance to position you footpegs where you want to.

Sorry,no pics,heatwave here in midwest keeping me outa the garage for more than a few minuted at a time :angry:

Edited by htrdoug

I had one on my 309 which I took off again. Seem to recall we made a longer cable to get the arm working in the correct position. I will look through my parts to check what length it was. I think the reason I took it off was I found that it took too much travel at the handlebar leaver to get the clutch fully engaged.Will be interesting to see what lengths the various arms measure.

OK,

You got me interested in getting my 240 going again,so this morning I finished up my fabricated Aluminum airbox project,changed her fuel, put on a new fuel filter,swapped on new bars and fired her up. Man,I had forgotten what a sweetheart she is, I seem to have become a little better rider since last time she went for a spin,I recall having to overcompensate to do full lock turns,now I can just flick her to the stop and crawl in a circle as slowly as I want,possibly not gonna worry about pulling in the rake,just will lower the footpegs.

She's such the opposite of my TY350 I can't imagine how they came from the same era...time to cut the flywheel weight offa the TY I think...

My clutch does well with it's extender,the increased lever travel helps me modulate the clutch. Mine releases completely using 1 finger before it gets to the bar and will sit and Idle like that in gear(wish I could get my 2009 KLX250S to do that,I stall it consistently trying to 1 finger the clutch in the woods)

Using an extender I fabbed to match the aftermarket one on the 240 on my 309,same thing,better control as it spreads out the friction point.

I need to make sure I know what gear oil I've been using in everything,all my clutches are working Ace right now.Will cut off the face of the bottle and staple it to the wall :banana2:

Edited by htrdoug

My clutch arm is standard and I find it works fine with one finger. The most important thing I think is the cable; I use a Venhill cable which I think has a nylon lining, I also use Domino forged levers (don't get caught out and buy the cast ones as I did once - they are nowhere near as nice).