Are The Pro 300's Wild?

hoggyf

Very big difference between those bikes. Not just more power, but the power on the 300 happens alot quicker than the JTX. My recommendation would be to ride the bike in some familiar sections if possible. If you do get it, make sure you put on a slow turn throttle and swap in a 06 clutch spring. Great upgrades IMO.

Its always strange to hear how people find the different CC's to ride. Like you, I expected the 300 to be a unwieldy beast. Personally, I find the opposite. The 300 for me is much smoother and more of a puppy a low revs than a 280 or a 250. Sure enough, as soon as you give it some gas it finds its feet, but for me this is perfect. Smooth for crawling, torquey for short sharp blasts up climbs.

I went from a 250 to 300 by choice after riding a 300 at the GG test day! As usual though, its all personal taste.

Cheers,

Wayne

Its always strange to hear how people find the different CC's to ride. Like you, I expected the 300 to be a unwieldy beast. Personally, I find the opposite. The 300 for me is much smoother and more of a puppy a low revs than a 280 or a 250. Sure enough, as soon as you give it some gas it finds its feet, but for me this is perfect. Smooth for crawling, torquey for short sharp blasts up climbs.

I went from a 250 to 300 by choice after riding a 300 at the GG test day! As usual though, its all personal taste.

Cheers,

Wayne

exactly my thoughts and purchase, i have softened mine with long pipe and low comp head which is easy/cheap to do on an older bike.

i would never use a slow throttle btw.

My last bike was a 2009 300cc Gasser and that had been softened a lot with barrel base gaskets, slow throttle and low compression head and was lovely to ride for the likes of someone like me who is pretty average

I now have Ross Danby's 2012 300 tuned by Ross' dad Mick Danby and Jeez what a difference! Its got everything on it to get maximum power but the big difference is how its delivered. When you flick the throttle the power is instant and i mean instant! In anything other than 1st gear it will wrench your arms off! It's really way too much for me but I'm having fun trying to adapt to it without killing myself :)

Edited by atomant
  • Like 1

I thought the 300s were a torquey version of the 250s (excluding the first 300 [2005?] which was a numb rock-spitter) up until the 2009/10/11 which then became a bit wild.

It's funny to hear some people say:-

''Wild?my 300? no,not mine.....but I did need to put a flywheel weight on,a longer exhaust,a slow throttle,extra base gaskets,head insert and change the gearing a bit :P

No not at all, I have reasnoble throttle control and have had the white tube on every bike I've had in the last ten years, its something I have got very used to and do not regard it as fast but "standard".

I do think it stems back to where I come from as here you need full throttle to burn through mud and a white tube is much easier to use with a spinning back wheel.

i also feel as a benchmark that if someone feels a slow one is better they need to spend time perfecting their throttle control.

No running issues, not sure i understand the question?

Cheers Nige,

This is a bit of a 'catch -22' for me, powerful bikes (300 Gassers) and slow throttles, I don't like powerful bikes but..

Bear with me ,this is a bit long winded when you have to explain by typing...

I've found that when I'm practising on steps/faces where you hold the front wheel into the front face it gets complicated with a slow throttle:

You lock the brakes on when you stop then simultaneously bite the clutch and raise the throttle to 'nuzzle' the bike in (compressing the suspension) etc..etc....now the tricky bit:-

To jump up the obstacle you need to release the front brake (and back ),give the bike a squirt of throttle,pop the clutch,pull the bars and jump at the same instant ....yes?

With a slow throttle you have to move your whole hand/wrist and sometimes arm to get that squirt of throttle required to launch..this is very unsettling for your balance, never mind having to think about grabbing the front brake again a soon as you're on top of your obstacle.

A 'standard' throttle requires much less 'animation' of your right hand/arm so you can more easily gas then grab the front brake lever but if you overdo the throttle input :o :o

Ok? That's just for a single step/obstacle ,it all happens quickly when you add another consecutive step/obstacle !!

''Running issues''.....

Me neither :dunce: , it was a question originally posed by someone (dubious source) else and I thought I was 'missing something' in as far as the engine/carburation was concerned...I wasn't.

Your confusion in your reply duplicates my thoughts on the question, please ignore it.

Ta,

Wayne

Edited by ham2

Wish I could hold the front wheel on and squirt up a double step but thats the beaty of a big bore bike imo that it suits an old fart like me softened a little as well as an expert. The fact that I have always preferred the 290 sherco reinforces my thoughts.

i think the 300 is a great bike but feel a tweak here and there gives me the bike I want everything I have done is to help softness and smoothness at the bottom including the right boysens, whereas a 250 doesnt. I think most agree the 280 is something else?