Beta Evo 2010 - Rear Shock Is Shot?

henrik

Hi

I´m a new member and i have som issues with the rear shock of a Beta EVO 2010.

It bottoms out real easy, just small hopps in the garage makes the rear shock hit the rubberthing for bottom out damping.

I believe the spring is the original (but not sure) and I have preloaded it to the max. I weigh only about 65kg and it still bottoms out from just small hopps.

If I understand it correctly the setting screw on the rear shock controls the rebound damping so the setting of this should not affect the bottoming out. Either way, I have tried this at both max and min, it doesn´t matter, I bottom it out real easy anyways.

Today I took the shock out and the spring off. I can´t determine if oil has been leaking out or if it still has gas pressure inside.

However I noticed a small black rubber seal that should be sitting around the rod and in a seat in the shock, this one had come off its seat and maybe allowed dirt to damage the seals in the shock, when i push it back and compress the shock it comes out again.

At this point the only thing i can come to think of to do is to manually with the shock in my hands compress the shock which i can quite easily do, but it does give some resistance. Once compressed, it slowly pushes out the rod again. The problem is I have no idea how this should feel or if it even should be possible to do with my hands. It is harder to move it if I turn the setting screw for rebound max in.

My own diagnosis is that something is wrong with the oil and/or gas. But there is still some pressure in it since it pushes out the rod after compressed.

Any thoughts about this or ideas of how to be sure about whats wrong or what to do?

Regards

Henrik

by what you are describing your shock damping side sounds fine ie it has resistance and returns in a controlled manner ,it sounds more like the problem is the spring not been strong enough either weakened or your quite heavy if spring hasnt had much use and should be in good nick i think you need an uprated spring

The 09 and 10 bikes came out with soft springs that normal suited light riders like yourself. There are two issues i get from your posting.

First..... If you have the preload on the spring tight up, it is likely you have the wrong spring or perhaps the spring is shot. You should set sag to 1/3 travel when you are stood on the bike with riding gear, after this there should be a little static sag (10mm ish) (with out any bike load)

Second.... The shock screw adjusts only the rebound speed. If you get no adjustment when you turn the screw - your shock needs a rebuild. And this is likely to be the reason your bike is blowing through all its travel very easily. But it will be doubly bad if the spring is shot. It should take a LOT of force to compress a shock.

You can rebuild what you have but it is a huge challenge to find someone to do it, and get new spring, or if you can afford one buy a TRP shock they are brilliant.

Let me know what happens, Ralphy

Edited by nzralphy

Henrik

We had exactly the same problem with my son's Evo 290 it's a 2010 model, we contacted the importer

John Lampkin to price up a replacement.

We returned the old unit and received a replacement and the only cost was the carriage, the shock and

spring unit was replaced free of charge, excellent service from the Beta UK importer.

May be worth speaking with your importer as there have obviously been some issues with the shock.

Regards

Pete

Thanks fo the replys.

After reading what you guys said I figured it was either the spring or the shock itself (Einstein thinking). I have two EVO 2010s so I took the good one apart as well and was going to switch springs and see what happens. I didn´t get that far, because when I had both shocks without spring they behaved like this:

Bad one:

With no rebound damping: Can compress it with say 50% hand force of my max and the rod returns out medium fast.

With max rebound damping: 75% force, rod returns real slow.

Good one:

With no rebound damping: 95% force, returns fast

With max rebound damping: 110% force, returns medium fast (my hands and arms hurt).

Comparing the springs visually and applying som pressure with my hands they move just a litte bit, feels the same, although this is a poor test.

I´m getting quite confident the problem is with the shock. I will contact the importer and see what he says. The bike is a couple of years old now so my hopes are not that high.

Does someone have some more detailed info about the TRP shock? Are they made for Beta EVO? Are they better than the original or cheaper? Do they have a compression adjustment screw? Where can I get hem and so on?

Since I already have all the parts off I might as well do the spring change test just to be sure.

Henrik

If you want a re build or it checked properly and rebuilt this chap (Andy Dawson) did mine for £80.00 including seals, oil, gas and a new bottom bearing.

Andy Dawson 07973 628270

He is the only person/shop I found that could do it. If you go elswhere and someone mentions drilling and fitting a schrader valve etc then run a mile!

Is the bike in reasonable nick? I doubt the spring could be knackered at that age and it should be ok for 65kg. I bet your gas is low.

Pindie:

What country does this Andy live in, Wales? If so, what might the nation telephone code be?

I will try to se if i can get someone here in Sweden fix it, but i doubt it, trials isn´t a big sport here and I guess it needs to be an expert since they are not made to be opened, and who knows what oil and gas pressure is needed.

Hi Henrik

TRP are made in Belgium. Yes they do them for EVO. They aren't cheep but can be rebuilt and fitted to your next bike.

To be honest the damping is another world better and is quite something the original Beta shock can never achieve - even after a rebuild. I fitted one to a mates Evo and couldn't believe how it transformed the bike. The traction the bike gets and the feel for the ground that the rider gets is quite simply brilliant.

I think this is their web site http://www.trpracing.be/

• 3 months later...

This is how it went, I concluded the shock was shot and bought a TRP-shock directly from the manufacturer in Belgium. The person responding to my e-mails was the owner of the company and I took the opportunity to ask some questions.

This is it: It has adjustable preload and a needle valve for the oil which is called rebound adjuster, but since it works both ways it also affects the compression.

They have 5 different spring rates available depending on weight and riding style, I got the 70Nm. I asked about recomended setting of the sag and suggested 1/3 of the travel. He said that they dont have a golden rule, some riders have 1/3 other 1/2 and so on, its up the rider whatever feels right.

It was about 490 euros if i remember correct, the rebound clicker has 29 steps. From factory it has a pre setting depending on my weight, after run-in about 5h changes can be made to whatever suits you. It is rebuildable, and they can do it for you. Gas pressure is 10 bar and there is a screw with a refill valve.

I was really happy with the service and info I got. How often can you ask technical questions directly to the people producing the stuff you use.

My only wish is separate adjusters for compression and rebound but i suppose that would be too expensive.

I have now had it for a while and had the time to run it in, adjust it a bit and so on. I am very pleased with it, definetly a good buy!

REIGER suspension just releise a new shock for the beta evo. I think this will be the best shock on the market . The unit can be adjust for compression and rebound . I do have the TRP shock very good unit but i think i will sell mine to try this new shock.

vgstef: If you get one, let us know what you think of it.

I know that reiger manufactures a shock for the Gas Gas racing and I suppose it has been specially made to fit that bike.

What about Beta then, have they made a specific shock for Beta as well or does it just happen to fit?

I have seen companies on the internet selling Öhlins shock for Beta, but when I talked to a Öhlins delar, he said they haven´t and that it is probalby just a shock that fits. And his thought about this was that if its not specially made for a specific bike, then its probably not the best choice. He even called the head office to ask since I was sure I had seen it markeded. Im thinking the mechanics would be out of range quite fast due to different linkages and so on, but I might be wrong.

Anyways, the reiger shock made specificly for gas gas racing with the separate adjustments for damping and rebound makes me think about getting one. I tried a TXT pro 280 2012 (no reiger) the other day and I must say it felt pretty good, a racing 2013 must be pretty sweet.

vgstef: If you get one, let us know what you think of it.

I know that reiger manufactures a shock for the Gas Gas racing and I suppose it has been specially made to fit that bike.

What about Beta then, have they made a specific shock for Beta as well or does it just happen to fit?

I have seen companies on the internet selling Öhlins shock for Beta, but when I talked to a Öhlins delar, he said they haven´t and that it is probalby just a shock that fits. And his thought about this was that if its not specially made for a specific bike, then its probably not the best choice. He even called the head office to ask since I was sure I had seen it markeded. Im thinking the mechanics would be out of range quite fast due to different linkages and so on, but I might be wrong.

Anyways, the reiger shock made specificly for gas gas racing with the separate adjustments for damping and rebound makes me think about getting one. I tried a TXT pro 280 2012 (no reiger) the other day and I must say it felt pretty good, a racing 2013 must be pretty sweet.

Yes they just made a reiger for the Beta but it is very very expensive ( around 1300$) . The TRP was made first for the montesa and after they start making some for the EVO . The TRP is a very good quality shock and can be rebuilt . I could feel the difference in the traction and you can very feel the rebound changing with just a 2 -3 clicks. What is nice about it is you do not need to removed the fender to adjust the rebound , just go under the linkage and you can use your finger to turn the nub. Price of the TRP is cheaper around 800$.

I am selling mine because i sold the bike.

I do not have any info on the Öhlins.