Photographing At Trials

12pixelscamera

I was just wondering what the rules were for taking photographs at Trials events, wether you had to get permission of the organiser, or you can come along and take photographs as long as you did not impede the riders in anyway or form. Also if you are not riding is there a fee to just come along and watch. Many thanks for any help given.

Basically turn up and shoot. No permission required, though if you're a stranger and it's an event with children riding it would be best to approach the organisers first, such is modern society. Don't impede the riders and, probably more importantly, don't impede the observers line of sight (though they're not usually shy in telling you to move your bloody head!) ;)

HI mate as per what Andy said just turn up there's no fee for watching.There's a trial on today at rogerlly quary & tomorro at butsfield near consett on the A68.there are quite a few people that take photos at the trials then upload them on to this site.hope this helps.

Pretty much as Andy and slack said. The only stumbling block is if the club request you don't because the land owner doesn't want it. It's the only legal block and it doesn't apply if you shoot from Public land. Otherwise I avoid the Junior members unless I know the Dad's or Mum's.

• 4 weeks later...

Please do not use a flash.

Why not? In all the years I've been shooting, from Club Trials to World Championship, not one rider has ever complained about the use of flash. It's somewhat of a necessary evil due to peaked helmets. Nothing worse than getting a nice shot and then finding the rider's face is in shadow.

• 1 month later...

Hello! Not much need for a new thread, but went to Dew Farm today and took some snaps. Absolute newbie to photography though. :)

Aside from the under age bit, is there any etiquettes I should be aware of taking pics of folk? Spoke to a few observers and a few riders, everybody was quite welcoming (and hoping for higher quality pics than I could take! :) ). Don't want too annoy folk though.

Always tried standing out of the way (not easy your first time in 25 years too a trials event! :) ).

Anyone who went around a course looking at the camera I stopped taking pics of. Didn't want to distract anyone you know?