2012 Good Tranny Fluid?

cycledave

I am just a bit south of OCD but not far from it when it comes to gearbox fluid. I put a hour meter on my bike and rarely get 5 hrs on it before I feel the need to whip out the allen wrench and change the oil. I've tried synthetics, 50/50 blends, ATF, synthetic ATF everything we get in the states. My bikes have magnetic drain and filler plugs and after about 5 hrs both the magnets have about the amount of gunk no matter what oil I put in it. But, by the looks of how much gunk is on the magnets and how the oil looks when it's drained it needs to be changed.

I like Mike's idea, and I am similiar... To me you know what I mean here.... kind of like computers, save early save often, engines or machinery? change oils early, change often. It is cheap! how much is shop rates where you live? $50-70 Ive seen, means you can get a lot of friggin quarts of oil for less than it takes to remove the engine from the frame, before they even get it apart to split the cases, to be worked on! lol.

And BTW clydedave, congrats on the new steed. Your gonna love it!

Yes, I really am having fun with this bike! It's so light and tight compared to my 10 year old GG. I am still breaking it in, and haven't had much time to ride it because I'm moving in 2 weeks, and I'm packing and tossing 22 years of stuff I've accumuated here.

I have been using Type F Tranny Fluid for 9 months in my 2011 Raga since the bike was new and that was great.

I recently switched to some synthetic 0W20 oil just to see if there was a difference. Seems to work quite well with a little less initial bite than the Type F. Maybe more difference after the second oil change with more of the Type F worked out of the system.

I generated up the table on a number of fluids which should show up in the post as:

Fluid type: Viscosity at 40C, Viscosity at 100C. Viscosity in (csT).

I guess the Hot 100C temp would apply to when the engine was warmed up. My newer 0W20 synthetic is a jut a bit heavier than the Type F tranny fluid.

Also found some useful info at http://www.gasgasrid...evaluation.html but it is a bit specific to older gas gas bikes.

Fluids in order of increasing viscosity at 100C

Fluid Viscosity (cST) 40C, 100C

0w10 27.2, 5.2

Dexron 6 ATF 30, 6

Mobile ATF Type F 36, 7.2

Putoline nano trans 36.3, 7.3

Dexron III 37, 7.9

Putoline Dexron IID ATF 43, 8.25

Shell S1 ATF Type F 39, 8.4

0w20 44.8, 8.7

Valvoline 75w-80 Gear Oil 55.7, 8.9 - 9.5

0w30 57.3, 11

5w30 59.5, 11.7

10w40 94.3, 14.6

Mobil Synth 75w-90 Gear Oil 120, 15.9

Mobil Synth 80w-140 Gear Oil 310, 31.2

Edited by dbell

• 3 weeks later...

I have been using Type F Tranny Fluid for 9 months in my 2011 Raga since the bike was new and that was great.

I recently switched to some synthetic 0W20 oil just to see if there was a difference. Seems to work quite well with a little less initial bite than the Type F. Maybe more difference after the second oil change with more of the Type F worked out of the system.

I generated up the table on a number of fluids which should show up in the post as:

Fluid type: Viscosity at 40C, Viscosity at 100C. Viscosity in (csT).

I guess the Hot 100C temp would apply to when the engine was warmed up. My newer 0W20 synthetic is a jut a bit heavier than the Type F tranny fluid.

Also found some useful info at http://www.gasgasrid...evaluation.html but it is a bit specific to older gas gas bikes.

Fluids in order of increasing viscosity at 100C

Fluid Viscosity (cST) 40C, 100C

0w10 27.2, 5.2

Dexron 6 ATF 30, 6

Mobile ATF Type F 36, 7.2

Putoline nano trans 36.3, 7.3

Dexron III 37, 7.9

Putoline Dexron IID ATF 43, 8.25

Shell S1 ATF Type F 39, 8.4

0w20 44.8, 8.7

Valvoline 75w-80 Gear Oil 55.7, 8.9 - 9.5

0w30 57.3, 11

5w30 59.5, 11.7

10w40 94.3, 14.6

Mobil Synth 75w-90 Gear Oil 120, 15.9

Mobil Synth 80w-140 Gear Oil 310, 31.2

Nice table! Since I can buy Dexron III for a fraction of the price of Type F, I think I will switch to Dexron. It appears to have almost the same numbers on this list. My bike is new, so I'm changing the oil for each fuel tank full, for the first few tankfuls.