Day Light Mot

Hey guys

About to register my bikes for the first time. Sorted the majority of the paperwork out but now I need to get it daylight MOT.

As its the first time I do not need to fit a plate as its registered on frame number. But what about the rest of the bike. Do I only really need the following:

Trials Tyres with "E" marked on them rotating the correct way.

A rear reflector

And a horn that is continuous.

Have I missed anything? Also what horn have people got and how have they mounted the reflector?

Thanks in advance

You don't need a reflector or speedo.

Bicycle horn from Halfords, battery operated continuous tome for post 1973 bikes. Bulb horn is ok for older bikes..

If you have Michelin tyres that say 'not for road use in USA or Canada', I'd erase the wording unless you're know the tester and what they expect/look for. Although it isn't applicable here, if the MOT station you use is finicky they may fail it for that, even though they shouldn't. Some I've been to have no concept of day time MOT and won't even look at it without lights and indicators. Not all of them know the law.......

Similarly, if the silencer has not for road use stamped on it (TYZ for example) grind it off or cover with a decal or stick on carbon.

There is only one set of rules for the MOT, but many testers make their own up...

Also - pump your tyres up - you could get a fail for under-inflated tyres - they don't understand trials bike pressures.

Edited by woody
  • Like 1

I recently MOTed my 09 4rt - fitted correct sized No plate and stuck reflector on to this. Push bike speedo fromLidl and a good electric horn off ebay. Clips on with elastic straps and 9v battery,

Took bike on trailer

There is no requirement for a speedo for a motorcycle MOT. It is not a testable item.

There is no requirement for a rear reflector. It is not a testable item when, no lights are fitted, fitted lights are permanently diconnected or permanently masked over.

The MOT testable items differ from what is required by road traffic law and the use of the bike on the road.

Thanks for all the input guys. Seems like a mixed bag of rules depending on the experience of the tester. I will give mine a ring just to clarify a few things.

I have only seen one brand of Reg plate online. Are they any good for use in competition? Or does anyone else have a recommendation for a Reg Plate? At this years SSDT there were many various attempts at hanging a reg plate some better than others. Even some factory bikes had reg plates that I am sure legally were suspect.

Where do you guys get your insurance for a road registered trials bike?

Great point and actually my next question. What companies offer insurance off of the frame number and a decent rate?

Edited by scott_king

Carol Nash, Aviva, Bennett's etc. - they'll all do it off the frame number but generally only provide cover for 14 days to allow you time to get it registered. They may not necessarily extend that period so you have to take it out again or with another insurer if 14 days isn't long enough.

Get it MOT'd, get the forms and everything you need completed and get booked in with the DVLA centre - you should be able to arrange to have it inspected and registered at the same time. Only when all this is complete should you insure it so that you can be sure that your 14 days covers the date of your DVLA appointment. If you insure it and then try to sort the rest out you may run out of time with the cover note.

As far as number plates are concerend there is only one legal size/dimension for a motorbike and that is the full size job that road bikes (should) have. Anything else is illegal and is the same offence as not displaying one at all. Obviously these are totally impractical on a trials bike and the police do at least accept this if you get stopped on a trial. Generally, if you've got something half sensible they're happy - not like you can do a runner at 170mph on atrials bike anyway.... What you fit depends on your bike and therefore the style of mudguard you have. Pre65 and twinshocks are still able to use the old style yellow or black stick on background with stick on numbers/letters as the profile of the mudguard means they are still visible from behind. Modern bikes are what you saw in Scotland due to modern upward facing rear guards - all sorts of solutions. None though, will meet the requirements of the law.

Get it MOT'd, get the forms and everything you need completed and get booked in with the DVLA centre - you should be able to arrange to have it inspected and registered at the same time. Only when all this is complete should you insure it so that you can be sure that your 14 days covers the date of your DVLA appointment. If you insure it and then try to sort the rest out you may run out of time with the cover note.

I was under the impression I had to send the MOT, insurance etc away. But going direct to DVLA Centre with it sounds a lot easier. At least then they can give me the tax and reg number their and then.

As for the reg plate i am going for a sensible approach that should not attract to much attention.

Edited by scott_king