Clutch On Tr280I

kbtrials

kbtrials - the clutch cover change I believe is referring to the oil filler neck, notice the oil is very slow to fill when you pour it in? I think they've just opened that up so you can fill it quicker. No big deal.

Have you changed the oil yet?

Apparantly the factory guys had 3 different clutch packs that they use depending on the conditions. Maybe you can get a hold of something more to your liking if required.

I noted on the 2013 specs that the clutch is updated, I've asked my dealer for an "update" kit to improve clutch feel and bite.

From 2013 launch text,

- Improved clutch, for better and softer feel:

· Larger diameter of oil channel on clutch cover

· Thicker hose.

- New clutch discs: new friction material and longer lasting

Anybody who know more in detail what the "larger diameter of oil channel on clutch cover" stands for and if this can be achieved by modding the "old" cover?

Thanks

they are now using a larger diameter hose therefore they have a larger diameter channel in the case to match.

Have no idea yet if modding the old cover is doable but you would need to change hoses if you did. cheers

Thanks for good answers!

Interesting that the factory are testing different specs on the clutch, in my opinion it is the weak spot on an otherwise super sweet ride. ( or it could just be that it is not to my taste... ;) )

Nope, haven't even seen the bike for the last week so haven't changed oil yet. Will do before the next ride which should be Saturday if all works out :)

• 1 month later...

So...

Changed the oil manufacturer about a month ago as per recommendations above, and yes there was an improvement. Still not 100% to my taste though, lacked the bite I was looking for and the soft feel in engagement was still there.

Ordered the 2013 clutch pack and installed tonight, so far I'm really really happy. I noticed that the new clutch is slightly thinner than the older one and the surfaces are different so for sure they have done some changes to the specs.

I've only been on the bike for about ten minutes tonight and so far,

- significantly reduced drag when cold

- much more distinctive bite

Tomorrow evening is the next practice time, will write up a review as soon as I get back. Maybe the dramatic changes are due to the brand new clutch pack and new oil, maybe it's a kick as modd, we will see... :)

Just back from a 2hr practice session.

Result,

- much more bite

- no slippage (didn't have that before either)

- very little drag when cold, NO drag when warm.

Super happy! Not sure if its the 75w oil or the 2013 clutch or a combination that was key but a very very nice bike just got perfect in my opinion.

something else that needs to be done is using the "clutch spring tool" when installing the clutch pack to center the spring.

I did not use the clutch tool although I have seen it exists through the manual. My importer told me to be cautious when centering the metallic ring which I was. What does the clutch spring tool do, ie how does it work?? What are the risks/negatives if not using it?

• 3 months later...

Hi there guys,I am on a 2012 TR280i,anybody else done any clutch mods (later clutch pack) to improve the progressiveness of the clutch,mine is really on/of,have tried various oils including 75wt GRO and others,the clutch drag is not to bad once warmed up. I see in a previous thread someone has installed the 2013 clutch pack,anybody else been down this track with success,and whats the cost?

name='digga' timestamp='1357676328' post='320849']

to improve the progressiveness of the clutch,mine is really on/of,

Has it always been on / off from new or has it developed the on / off characteristic over a period.[/u]

Hi Steveo,thanks for the reply,no its always been pretty on/off,thought they were all like that? All as I know its not very progressive compared to the 2009 320 4t Sherco I have borrowed at the moment,due to an ECU problem on the Ossa. There was previous post where someone had fitted 2013 clutch pack with a good result and another guy in the UK was suggesting he was going to do the same.