Harry Foster, Bsa Otter.

charlie prescott

Hi Guy's.

I have had the story from Ally Clift about the Original BSA "Otters" built down in the west country by the late Harry Foster. The story is now on the BSA Otter web site if you care yo look. www.bsaotter.com

Ok. After reading the stories, I now think I should try and find an Harry Foster BSA "Otter" frame in any condition, so that I can build one of these bikes up for the web site, and for my collection.

Do any of you know where there is a frame?

There were 36 built, so there still could be a discarded one in someones garage?

Let me know on my web site, if you have or find one, thanks.

Regards Charlie.

• 1 year later...

Hi Charlie,

There were a pair of brothers-in-law in Cornwall and my Alzheimers is hiding there names from me - but some of the Kernow gang might be able to help.

One was a jobbing builder, lived near Trethurgy, had a workshop in the field behind his house with a collection of old bikes, mainly trials, and the other was something to do with plant hire and had a shed with a lot of old bikes - and cream cracker MGs - and someone told me he had opened a collection in Mevagissey - but it's all years ago now, anyway, one of them had an early Otter - but I can't remember which.

I know that's not really much help - but someone might remember - you never know.

Cheers

Deryk

Hi Guy's.

Deryk.

The only reference I have for the Cornish Harry Foster Otters are Tony Harris who owned , the first one built ,that was a Triumph engined bike.

The other was owned by Tom Seward, this had a BSA B40 engine,

Toms son is still building trials bikes and Collin Dommett owns one.

What comes around Hey.

Don't know how else to jog your memory , but maybe someone else does????

There is also one in the States I would like to find, and even suggestions that there may be one in Australia.???

Come on Guy's ,help me!!!

Regards Charlie. .www.bsaotter.com

• 2 years later...

Hi Guy's.

Hi Deryk.

I have just found out you were right, It was Tom Seward  that had the first BSA engined Foster "Otter" and he lived and still does in Trethurgy in Cornwall near the Eden Project.

A book has been written about Trethurgy using photos and cuttings that Tom and his wife  saved over the years and Mabel his wife helped write the book.

Tom was also one of the founding members of the Cornwall Branch Vintage MCC and there 50 th anniversary was last year 2015.

Still need all the information I can get about "Otter" trials bikes Old and New.

Regards ~Oo>

charlie dont forget that harry made many a fine sidecar as well as the solos, i can remember stopping at his house for tea in the days when we rode the west of england trial on the saturday,and the otter vale on the sunday,when harry would come out and ride one of his outfits and beat most of us ,great days ,, will

Hi Guy's.

Hi Will,

Harry Foster , was one of those guy's that left this planet to early.

He would not describe himself as anything but was meticulous at any thing he did.

I am only glad that I have been able to bring a bit of recognition to the work he carried out putting his interpretation  into the forward thinking and simple design for a trials frame  to achieve a

winning formula, started by Scott Ellis and his father, then aptly improved and adapted by Harry Foster,  and also given a name that has stood the test of time , that is the "Otter".

The frame and Harry Foster  in my mind are "Legends".

Regards ~Oo> 

• Like 1

Hi Guy's.

Deryk.

The only reference I have for the Cornish Harry Foster Otters are Tony Harris who owned , the first one built ,that was a Triumph engined bike.

The other was owned by Tom Seward, this had a BSA B40 engine,

Toms son is still building trials bikes and Collin Dommett owns one.

What comes around Hey.

Don't know how else to jog your memory , but maybe someone else does????

There is also one in the States I would like to find, and even suggestions that there may be one in Australia.???

Come on Guy's ,help me!!!

Regards Charlie. .www.bsaotter.com

There is indeed an Otter in Oz (Australia), only a couple of hours drive from me. B40 engined. Looks stunning! But I don't know if its a Harry Foster one.

Edited by jc2
  • Like 1

Hi Guy's.

Hi Jc2.

Ally Clift always told me there was a Foster "Otter' that went to Australia , And I also remember the late Chris Leighfield  talking to me about one.

But at the time it just passed me by.

I would love a photo of that bike and any other information about it.

Good Work thanks. another myth broken.

Regards ~Oo>

Hi Guy's.

Hi Jc2.

Ally Clift always told me there was a Foster "Otter' that went to Australia , And I also remember the late Chris Leighfield  talking to me about one.

But at the time it just passed me by.

I would love a photo of that bike and any other information about it.

Good Work thanks. another myth broken.

Regards ~Oo>

Charlie, I've checked with the owner of this one is OZ that I know of & it's not a Foster Otter. This one uses an early Howard Fawkes frame.  There may be another Otter here that I don't know of tho. It's a huge country!

Hi Guy's 

Hi Jc2.

Look thanks for that, So there is like you say more than one in OZ.

I would still like the story of the Faber framed one and some pictures if your friend has time to send them me ,on the "Otter" site.

And I am sure Howard would also be interested.

Thanks again Good Work.

Regards ~Oo>

Hi Guy's 

Hi Jc2.

Look thanks for that, So there is like you say more than one in OZ.

Charlie, I can only say that there may be a 2nd Otter in Oz. I don't know for sure. I'll see if I can get some info on the one I know of for you. cheers

• Like 1