Just Fitted An S3 Flywheel Weight To A 250 Pro

dombush

Wow, what a difference.

So different that i initialy lost my balance just slow turning. Need to retune my body movements to match the new characteristics.

All the lively snatchyness is gone, it'll pull you forward on tick over without that "teetering on the edge of stalling" feeling. I hope this reduces the my nervous clutch covering affliction.

It remains to be seen if it adversly affects that effortless front wheel lift for getting over logs etc.

Glad i had a dremmel, rattle gun and loctites available during fitting though.

Wow, what a difference.

So different that i initialy lost my balance just slow turning. Need to retune my body movements to match the new characteristics.

All the lively snatchyness is gone, it'll pull you forward on tick over without that "teetering on the edge of stalling" feeling. I hope this reduces the my nervous clutch covering affliction.

It remains to be seen if it adversly affects that effortless front wheel lift for getting over logs etc.

Glad i had a dremmel, rattle gun and loctites available during fitting though.

Maybe I missed something here - Did you add flywheel weight because you don't like to use the clutch in a trials section? Or?

I recently switched from an '02 GG 280 Edition to a 2012 GG 250 Econo (with a '12 engine). The stock engine/clutch/flywheel is working great. [Although the carb is set rich while I'm breaking it in, so it's not making full power yet.] Last Sunday, I placed first (which is rare for me lately), in the first event I've entered with it . And it was a slippery/wet/muddy event. Just asking...

Making the modification stems from not wanting to clutch so much, but rely on grip that the bike finds at very low revs (mud!!)

I rode a beta evo and found that i trusted the bike immediately even when rolling on from virtually nothing.

I then rode a 2010 250 pro (mines a 2006 250), it was much softer meaning that my hamfisted throttle control didnt upset the bike as much.

I also lacked confidence in the bike not stalling at other times. Other options were to cover the clutch or turn the tickover up... both have their drawbacks.

Well aware that its a personal thing... for instance i know that i i dont notice the snatchy pickup so much from the 3rd lap onwards. Probably because ive settled in a bit.

1st trial report

Pro's

• Definately cured me of clutch covering nervousness, especially when on a technical descent at low revs.
  • Damped down some of my early section throttle snatchyness.
  • No snatching smooths fork movements and therefore steering.
  • Makes the bike feel more stable and predictable whilst "in section"
  • Didnt break traction when first applying throttle on slippery climbs, allowing you time to react before the dreaded wheelspin starts.

Con's

• lifting the front wheel over a log with fork bounce and a blip is less dramatic and needs a bit more work (no bad thing)
  • losing revs after arriving at the top of a "full revs climb" required more judgement when to start reducing throttle.

All in all, this has been beneficial for me, mostly because of my poor throttle control. Worth thinking about if you struggle in a similar way.

Dom

Nigel, i get the point you make... of course it would be better to not require it at all

a few things.

• even though its only a 250, i'm small / light in stature
  • I only get to ride once / twice a month and this is at events which tend to be "straight in"
  • Confidence plays a large part in improvement, perhaps it can come off in a while

either way, like wearing "lucky underpants" if it works for you...it works

I had a 2007 300txt and now have a 250txt 2011. I ride as 50/50 and come in top ten and had a few wins. The 250 in my opinion is snappy so i fitted a S3 fly wheel weight then fitted a head insert the gold one low compression. Its now ok but does not suffer to lift front end extra that is down to clutch n timing of throttle.

In conclusion i find the 300 softer and more power on top end if required, the 250 seems snappy yet gives as much power but not the low down torque that you need, next bike will be a 300 be it Beta or Gasser

• 8 years later...