2006 Rev 3 - Possible Fueling Issue

e816

I just bought a 2006 Rev3 which has done less than 20hrs.

The problem I have is the bike starts easily and revs pretty well in neutral, but as soon as I select a gear and release the clutch it bogs and dies. I select neutral and it starts first kick?

Coming from an enduro background I'm a complete trials (and trial bikes) newby.

I'm the problem lies in the carb, but any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Hi, I have experienced this on my sons bike, it was dirt in one of the jets in the carb. It would rev easily on tick over, but as soon as you moved off it would die.

Blow through every port & jet in the carb, also make sure you clutch plates aren't stuck together. With engine off, put it in 3rd and rock the bike backwards and forwards. Once the plates are apart drain & refill with decent gear oil. I have always used Putoline GP10 in my beta's and it's worked well for me. Hope this helps.

Coming from enduro bike you may find trials bikes weak and problematic in comparison. I did!

I would try oil changes first and foremost. Try three of basic light gear oil then the fourth put in decent stuff. Change after every couple of hours (3 times) to flush and clean the clutch out. Change when warn. Only put 450-500 ml in as well.

The carb will need a good soak of carb cleaner to lift any old fuel varnish as it has been left so long. This then needs a really through blast with compressed aire to get it out.

Hopefully a dose of fresh fuel and it will be fine? Once running be good with your maintenance and you will get years of use and fun!

Thank you for the replies darensn & pindie.

I have done everything you guys recommended and although it is now better, it still bogs. What makes it interesting is that it now only really bogs when going uphill, which to me relates to a float issue in the carb. I have taken it to the importer who is having a look and might replace the carb if he can't sort it.

Will let you know what the outcome is.