Txt Boy 50 - Coil Test

waynerobshaw

Hi All,

I've checked the resistances of the stator and they seem to checkout ok (about 100 Ohms), so I now want to test the coil. Does anybody know what resistances I should be seeing on this Selletra coil between the Earth, Low tension and high tension terminals? (combinations of either):

Photo can be found here:

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B2LTO-Xwqu3CZkdhLTQ2THlSRGc

So far I'm getting open circuit with all combinations which I assume isn't right!

Cheers,

Wayne.

No idea about specific resistance on that coil, yet seems you are correct in that does not sound correct to have no continuity.

Might try Steve at Motoplat UK for advise on replacement. I am not sure if this is a 6 or 12V coil????

Edited by copemech

Hi Copemech,

After thinking the coil was buggered due to being open circuit, I ordered a new one from GG....£60! Anyway, before fitting I checked the resistances on the new one...still open circuit!! Eh???

So, I thought I might as well try it anyway and sure enough I now have a nice blue spark! So, it looks as thought the coil was at fault but checking the resistance isn't a way to diagnose the fault!

Its strange, I would have thought the coil would give a Ohms reading of some kind and not just open circuit!

Cheers,

Wayne.