06 Sherco Options-250 Or 290?

mil

Hi

I am returning to trials from motocross and looking at bike options. I used to ride a Beta 270 and although I enjoyed it I like the look of Shercos...

From my understanding there was a revamp from 06model, and this age is about my price range, but have heard different reports on 250 vs 290 models. I have heard reports of very snappy 250's and mellow 290's, but a friend had a 290 and didn't get on with it. Am I right in saying 250 was changed in 06 and mellowed power?

Any thoughts and advice on this? I am not a beginner but certainly no trials expert and want to have fun on it and enter some trials, so want usable power, but the 290's seem much more readily available...

Thanks

Mil

I think they did mellow the 290 a bit in '06, not sure about the 250 as I only had a brief go on one, yet it was nice. My '05 250 was still considered perky, yet i loved it.

Any 290 will have more stick, and could be too much, depending upon you. Do not consider them gentile, yet they can be tamed a bit.

Very aggresive bike the 290s an expert bike only as me mates had em and they went backwards in results. They cant turn like a Beta or Gas Gas so you need to consider that as well.

The 06 was the first of the black frame bikes & because the rad was moved up in the frame the steering lock reduced, the 05 had better lock & you probably wouldn't notice much difference apart from the 05 will likely still have a working shock unlike the 06

Engine size is a personal thing depending on your ability, the 290s make more power everywhere in the range than the 250s especially low down & generally are smoother but you do need to learn to use the clutch to feel what the back tyre is doing to get the best out of them

The last 250 I tried seemed very zippy & grabbed revs quicker than I was used to but did seem to grip well

I think the reason that more 290s are sold is to do with the extra power down low makes it easier to ride if you don't get up in the revs very often, as a generalisation this applies to older riders

My advice is to try both sized bikes if you can & see which suits you better

• Like 1

I can only speak for the 250, The 2010 has plenty of low end power and always comes on with a simple twist of power. It is particulary tractable in the bog as well. It was a good choice not to buy a more powerful engine, thinking that bigger is better. That was the advice i got from a Pro.

Interesting to hear comments on this. I have read about options to retard timing and fit slow action throttle as a way to change power delivery- would this be of benefit to the 290, or if I was to need to do this, would it be more a case of making the best of what I had as opposed to an ideal?

The 06 was the first of the black frame bikes & because the rad was moved up in the frame the steering lock reduced, the 05 had better lock & you probably wouldn't notice much difference apart from the 05 will likely still have a working shock unlike the 06

Engine size is a personal thing depending on your ability, the 290s make more power everywhere in the range than the 250s especially low down & generally are smoother but you do need to learn to use the clutch to feel what the back tyre is doing to get the best out of them

The last 250 I tried seemed very zippy & grabbed revs quicker than I was used to but did seem to grip well

I think the reason that more 290s are sold is to do with the extra power down low makes it easier to ride if you don't get up in the revs very often, as a generalisation this applies to older riders

My advice is to try both sized bikes if you can & see which suits you better

Amen to that, brother. :thumbup: