British Championship Controversy

Andy

I like the last post the best! Its a very unfortunate incident to say the least. I have read that Dibs and Browny are good mates. That makes this all a bit tougher for them... Its even more unfortunate that importers ( well I guess just MRS)had to publicly make a statement against another importer. Its too small of a sport for that on any level.

MY only thought was when I read this and saw the results, was, that it never would have happened if the trial itself was more difficult for the Champ class. No- stop or not, when the top two lads are pretty much clean for the whole day, to decide a championship, not much fun. Let the dust settle and would have been nicer to have any problems not aired on the forum.

Steve

Whilst not there it seems rathmell has decided to forget all the times he did the same when Graham was trying for a win in the BTC not that long ago

Your absolutely right Andrew, he has done some gardening in the past in the section, but the rules allowed him in the section in Graham's years? I am not condoning it is right to do gardening, but everyone does it me, you right up to WTC level.

The rules state this year that only the minders can be invited into the section at the discretion of the obsever I beleive, so why oh why was Shirty in the section, not as a spectator surely as he has stated and if (Iwasn't there) he started rubbing, shifting, moving rocks and altering the section under the nose of the CoC who has made a very difficult decision, then as people have said you get stung?

If this had happened in the first round then maybe all Team Management would stay the right side of the tape!!!

If Shirty was right, why has he apologised and why has he not appealed, I do feel sorry for Pune and he ain't gonna tell the man who pays his wages to get out of the section.

Unfortunately Shirty has to live with the fact that Pune lost the BTC through his actions, not nice, but I reckon most people on here stand by the CoC decision if the actions as stated were correct?

Your absolutely right Andrew, he has done some gardening in the past in the section, but the rules allowed him in the section in Graham's years? I am not condoning it is right to do gardening, but everyone does it me, you right up to WTC level.

poi he wasnt the minder the rules did not allow him to be in the sections

got to feel real sorry for Browny, if Shirty did whats been reported ,then its is own dam fault, and would not surprise me in the slightest, he has continually treated the rules with contempt and finally its bitten him on the a***, well done the COC, real tough decision.

have seen shirty's antic's first hand at other BTC's and British world rounds, with one of my friends never observing again at any trial due to the Gas,Gas cheats team accusing him of assulting a minder who wouldnt get out of the section (tapped him on the helmet with a clip board) win at any cost has really cost you this time Shirty

just a real shame for Browny and the championship to end on such a bad note

T-shock, totally agree! Whilst it is true that everyone at every level bends the rules a little in term of a crafty kick of a rock, I don't recall seeing people do this at a club trial. Maybe to a struggling young-un or raw beginner to keep their spirit up, but not to a potential trial winner.

With the caveat that I wasn't there and don't know those involved, on this evidence it looks like a case of 'what goes around, comes around'...

...but surely to pick on one person at one incident at one event, is that fair? The rules in various shapes have been bent and disregarded all year.

Surely the biggest disappointment is that it has affected the Championship outcome, either one way or the other, just a bad ending to a bad championship ill thought out with clearly no aim or goal set out before it started, so how anyone can deem it a success mystifies me.

I lerk on this site in the background and am

Not here to judge anyone, but jumping on a guy that is already down is not a good thing in such a "small" sport!! Gardening as its been put as been going on for as long as I have been around the sport, I've seen riders/minders remove parts of sections at all levels, so if Shirty has been this bad why does all his bad doings over years have to be punished on the last round and on such an important section! Couldnt it have been done at the start! I personally think its a very very bad decision and timing! Changing of rules every 5 minutes don't help either, remember the importance of importers and what they all do for the sport!

-Jason Finn

Guess it ultimately comes down to choice. There are other domestic championships in europe that could be contested if this is such a 'bad' championship. I'm no expert and clearly its not a great way to end the season but I'm not detecting much sympathy either from the posts i've read. The measure of success is truly personal preference. Clearly there are a number of informed people who view the championship as a success in the same way there a number of informed people who view it as unsuccessful. It would appear that this year has thrown different podium winners into the mix and larger entries into the championship class than previous years. Surely that has to be good for the sport?

At the end of the day Shirty knew he should not be in any section yet chose to be there, perhaps the punishment was/is harsh but never the less was known and apparently pointed out by JC prior. So whilst we all try to push our luck/bend the rules in many things ultimately one day its going to come back and bite you on the a*** :moon:

It must be remembered that at the British Championship meeting it was agreed there would be one ‘assistant’ and that ‘assistant’ was not allowed in the section without the prior agreement of the observer. That assistant was the person who had signed on at the start of the trial. Any rider or person associated with that rider/team would be excluded if they contravened the rules. John Collins pointed this out at the riders briefings.