Electronic Ignition

johnh

I have replaced the plug, cap, points, condensor and renewed all the wires from the stator. The bike did run nicely but it has developed a problem which has turned into the bike not starting at all now. So my attention has been drawn to replacing all the remaining electrical parts and so changing to electronic ignition.

Still a couple of things you haven't replaced - HT coil and the LT coil

HT coils are pretty cheap so worth trying one of those, if it still doesn't cure it the LT coil may be at fault. Not sure where you'd get an LT coil from for a Montesa but there are places that could check it and rewind if necessary, West Country Windings being the one people tend to use.

Not sure about the 123 Mont but the bigger engines from the 70s on (ie: 247 through to 330) all use the same ignition system, stator, flywheel and HT coil. If the 123 uses the same set up, there is a stator from an MH200 on ebay.

As for electronic, the only company that does, or did, an ignition for the Montesa is Electrex. It was listed as for the 348/349 but if the 123 shares the same igjnition as the bigger engines then it would fit the 123 as well, but, I know two people who have tried it on their 349 engines and it isn't right, despite several attempts at rectifying it.

I'd try a new HT coil before anything else

Not cheap and it still uses the original HT coil.

I think this is a Motoplat system, and from what I've read on another post the fly is a little light.

http://www.francetrialclassic.com/en/ignition/2525-montesa-cota-123-172-200-electronic-ignition.html

http://www.trialscentral.com/forums/topic/42896-any-one-using-electronic-ignition-kits-from-france-classic-trial/

problem could also be carb unless ruled out or crank seals ,, i would try a strobe light on it ,i use one that works from a car 121v battery ,you can run the bike and watch the strobe when the problem starts you should see it if its the spark ,it can also determine if you loose the spark under compression

Thanks for the replies and advice fella's. I will take a punt on the HT Coil and stator on ebay, if that improves/sorts it then I will invest in a new HT coil and get the stator sent away for a refurb as the 2nd hand parts are nearly as old as my originals.

I doubt it will be the carb as I am running a new mikuni, which I have stripped and cleaned just to eliminate that from the problem. I hope it isn't the crank seals as the engine was stripped and all bearings and seals were replaced but if the above doesn't work then I may have to revisit the bottom end.

Thanks again