Downsides In Learning Trial With Big Cc Trial?

surfted

I'm about to buy a trial and find out what this sport is about. I have read that you should start with a small cc bike not more than 250 anyway. I've been looking for a 200-250 bike but they are hard to find. Although there is plenty of 280, 290 300 and there are also some 125. So I was thinking of getting a 125 to start with. It's probably the right thing to do if my aim is to contest but it's not. It's just for fun so maybe I could start with a 280, 300 bike and take it slow. (I'm used to motorcycles)

Can someone please explain why I shouldn't start with a 300 2t? Please give me some examples of when a smaller cc bike could be better.

Thanks

My advice for what it's worth.......

I bought a 2006 beta rev 3 270 for my first bike and it was a real handfull, tiny bit of throttle and it just wanted to go. After riding 3 times I decided that I loved trials but wasn't keen on my bike so went out and purchased a 2008 gas gas txt pro 200 (which I'm lead to believe us actualy a 175 but called a 200???) , only been out once on it but wow what a difference it made, it still had the power to take me up the steepest of hills with very little effort and left me thinking that the bike still has loads more to give when I get more confident. The biggest difference is the weight a agility, not sure how much is to do with engine size or manufacture etc but the 200 is soooo much easier to ride, I can now get the back wheel up and flick it round a bit, pop a wheelie for a few meters etc etc (not a big deal compared to some but I was quite chuffed lol)

My advice is get a 200 or 125, it will be plenty!

Most important thing is get a bike and ride, your gonna love it :-)

Where are you from?

Edited by andy

thanks sparky!

I live in sweden, the westcoast north of gothenburg.

I had a plan to buy a Gas Gas 125 2009-11 in nice condition to begin with, just to learn the basics. and when I feel ready rebuild the engine to a 200. but then I found out that there is a kit from s3 to convert the engine to a true 225cc. I've read great things about this kit. maybe it could ve a good solution?

Surfted, I started out with trials last year and so did some other guys that I ride with, 5 in total. All of us had experience with bikes but not trials and we got 270-290cc bikes, none of us had any problems with too much power. I have read about it here before but I dont understand why it should be a problem. I think what happens is the standing up and giving throttle moves the bike forward and the body goes back and the throttle turns more and then a crasch. But if you are used to bikes and always keep one finger on the clutch its no problem, and if it is you will get used to it and learn to handle it.

What kind of riding are you planning to do? You say you live north of gothenburg, but how far. There are trials clubs is Ale, Uddevalla and Sotenäs that i know of, there might be more. If you are planning on riding at a club i believe you will do trials, but if you live on the countryside and are going to ride by yourself on your own land my guess is it will be more like trail riding. In the last case I would definetly get a 250-300cc bike.

Also, here in Sweden I have never seen a 200cc bike, there are almost only 125 and 250-300 and rebuilding one to 200 seems like a gamble for the aftermarket price.

If you are 20+ years of age, I would get a big bike.

These are just my personal thoughts.

One way to go might be trying a big bike and se how it feels before you make up your mind. At my club in Partille we have try-outs on wednesdays but I think tomorrow is the last one this season. Im also not sure if there is a big bike or only 80 and 125cc.

One more thing, riding at a club is way more fun than riding by yourself, I started out with the latter and that was fun, but riding with others and learn the technique is awesome.

On november 3rd there is kåsjötrial in partille, a beginners competition. And on the 11th a similar one called farsdagstrial in Kinna. There is also a series with 7 competitions called väst-trial, last event was last saturday but starts again in april. All the events are surrounding the Gothenburg area, google partille trial for more information.

Okej okej, end of my novel. Get a bike and the fun begins no matter what you get or how you ride!

The reason most people recommend starting on a small cc bike is that it teaches you correct technique rather than just using engine power. Lighter weight also comes with the smaller size, from memory Gas Gas claim their 125 weighs around 63kg

Here in New Zealand the guys who have progressed the furtherest generally started on 125s even though we have no restrictions on what size engine they use, only real exception who comes to mind is the current NZ & Australian champ Jake Whittaker who started on a Montesa 314 from memory when he was only around 10. When the possibility of doing world junior rounds came up he dropped down to a 125 Gas Gas & was still winning overall at a national level

Don't be afraid to try a smaller bike if you can find 1 which won't be easy as 250s are generally the biggest sellers

When you're new to the sport it's relatively easy messing about on any big-bore trials bike in a quarry or a field.

The level of 'user-friendliness' or poke of the bike becomes a lot more 'critical' to the new rider when he turns up to his first trial and attempts the easy course, where some sneaky bugger has set the most benign looking section that simply criss-crosses a small pebble, stream-bed.

Here's a little insight into my mind (it's not pretty) and my memories:-

1) You manage the first flag :) yay!

2) Miss your line to the second :huh:

3) Your steering bobbles as you add lock :o

4) The rear tyre rolls a small boulder out <_<

5) The bike surges forward -_-

6) You grip the bike too tightly :(

7) You over-use the clutch :huh:

8) Your arms pump ^_^

9) Your balance goes :wall:

10) You take a dab :wall: ..and end up mad-spidering for a 3 :icon_salut:

You look back and think why can't I do this, ' I'll be better on the next lap '...for me..that's the beauty of trials, it's technical, the guy who set the course makes good use of the land available.

( A little dramatic, I agree but you get the jist?)

Wayne

Edited by ham2

I think the big difference between a new rider and a new to trials rider is throttle control

Riding a variety of dirt and street teaches you that

Also the Domino throttle on most bikes you can fit a slow throttle tube, never a bad idea

Power is not a problem, these bikes have the most tractable engines ever made, they are not crazy powerful for their CC

Ok hmm many opinions now. ; )

Fact about me

Been riding bikes since 7 years old mostly offroad, 85kg, 183cm, age 31. Been/are doing agressive inlines, windsurf, mtb, kayak.

Will a 125cc be sufficient for me if i decide to learn the right way? or is my weigth to much?

I've been looking for a 200-250 but it looks like no one buy them. Theres plenty of 280-300 and some 125 on the swedish market.

I've been looking at gg 125 -10, beta 125 -11, beta 290 -11

they say that beta 290 has i smooth and nice power and that makes it kind of interesting. I belive there are mods to make them even easier to drive.

When you say you learn the rigth tecnique with a 125 do you mean that you have to be more active in jumping the bike and to load up the flywheel with power and use clutchcontrol to jump a step for example? Can someone explain where a 125 and a 290 differ the most in a section. Is the the slippery stuff or steps and so on. Ham2 gave me a hint so far.

Is it possible to say that with a big cc bike you

*must have good throttle control

*must be able to move around more rotating mass

*are able to climd longer and steeper hills

*are able to several big steps in a row

*must be in better shape/condition to manage the same time as a lesser cc bike

:rolleyes:

You might be over thinking the bike choice

I started trials about 1.5 years ago after 30 years of riding everything with and without wheels so I'm in the same boots you are

You will need to do 2 things

1) Unlearn all kinds of bad habits like "Seat of the pants" riding

2) Learn the art of trials, technique is paramount, balance is your new friend, you will be very intimate with your clutch

Smaller displacement bikes are the same size and weight, they just have less power

If you have substantial riding experience power will not overwhelm you, but having said that, big power is really not that important

Unless you are 140lbs I really don't think a small bike is an advantage

Just try all size bikes only you can say which bike you like I used to have a 08 250 sherco thinking this was the best for me in till I tried 2012 300 Gas Gas fell in love with it so soft but power if you need it. Go to a trial and see if you can try some different cc bikes. Hope you find what you want.

• 2 weeks later...

Get a 300. Put a slow throttle on it and go play.

The weight difference is nothing. My Gas Gas weighs 65kg.

With a slow throttle everything happens in plenty of time.

300's arn't 'bigger' bikes ~ they are smoother and more linear.

Using the engine to do things isn't - not learning techniques - it 'Is' motorcyle trials.

Take away the motor and we'd all have to wear lycra ~ eugh! Haha.

With a slow throttle and a flywheel weight, mine is near enough electric in power delivery.

which for a beginner like me is a lot more fun than trying to learn everything else 'and' stay in a narrow powerband to get anywhere. :-)

• 2 weeks later...