Golden Tyres

goudrons

• 3 weeks later...

• 1 month later...

What the word on these golden tyres then ? Says ttt helped develop them.....? Do they use them or does that just mean ttt accepted a bunch of free tyres to use as a section and ride over with michellins on?

Mind you, at 130 the pair they're not far if decent tyre money................

• 2 months later...

• 7 months later...

• 2 weeks later...

• 3 weeks later...

Right at last, the tyres were delivered last week GT355 Geckos. I ordered the front & back at the same time. Looking at them they look good quality. The knobbles very squidgy much softer than my Mich X11, more like the IRC's.

I mentioned to a few local trials shops that I had bought some golden tyres to try (No Names) the larger & more commercial of the 2 shop just said that I had wasted my money & that I would be better off using a set of bald Michelins. Nice & positive!

The one man band shop who I had to fit the tyres was more helpful & interested in how I get on with them.

Well I went out on them for the first time today & at the moment I can not fault them at all. I know they are new but they were better than the last new X11 I had fitted. The grip was brilliant in the clay, shale & in the river. I liked them but I will have to wait & see how long they will last.

They GT355's are definitely not a cheap tyre as they cost me moth than a set of x11's, I was impressed- lets see how they last.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Thought I try one (Gecko) too...Initial thoughts - stiff sidewall, soft centre tread. Hard to fit so it's really stuck on the rim well.

However the stiff sidewall makes the tyre look hard so I was running 1 - 1.5 psi with no problems here on the typical southern rockless terrain.

We've got an unseasonably dry spell here, so no really snotty going just yet. The one slippery hill climb I tried several times in different gears as a test showed that the right gear & right technique got you there and the tyre grip was not an issue.

Really I need a good southern mud trial for a proper test, I'll tell more when I find one. Initial conclusion - pretty good tyre, but so far not exceptional. Certainly far better than any budget tyre it would probably retail £20 less than a michy I guess.

• Like 2

We have had a set on my son's bike for couple months now....Goldentyre sponsored for 2014. These tires are made in Italy! thus the reason for TTT to be involved too. The rear Gecko is a good tire. Different than Michelin. Stiffer side walls, knobs seem a tad taller, and very soft! Lower pressure recommended. The sidewall certainly does break in a bit after a few rides. Other thing with both the trial and enduro tires we have used, easiest tire I have ever mounted. They come shipped with cardboard spreaders inside which help keep the tire the shape it will be when mounted and I didnt have to use any foam mounting mouse or anything for that matter, just inflate.

Only downfall is that we in Canada seem to have received a bad batch, and some of the rears start to have some serious cracking all the way around the sidewall. Goldentyre here is looking after a new batch. It grips well, and yes way cheaper here than Michelin which just went way up in price!

• Like 1