Golden Tyres

goudrons

Does anybody have experience with the GoldenTyre GT257?

I ride a lot with someone who has a KTM SXC 625. So, my riding style is more enduro like than trials like, but still with a lot small single tracks and a lot of muddy terrain and steep leafy hill climbs.

Expect for the muddy terrain I can keep up very good with the KTM rider.

I guess the GT257 on the rear and a normal Trials tire on the front would be the perfect combination for me?

• 1 month later...

Update on my Geckos, about 5 trips out & I notice 3-4 splits in the side walls of the rear tyre- not happy anymore as I am not a rock or log hopper, basically been riding on clay & fine shingle. Be careful how low you go on pressure, I was running 3Psi but the splits may have been caused by the tyre spreading wide enough to catch the chain tensioner bold head when going over the odd bolder.

Skyline, have a chat with your supplier. My supplier reports this as a known problem and new tyre is available under warranty.

Golden Tyre are aware of this and have changed the mould & materials on the mk2 tyre.

My tyre developed the same cracks after 12 trials on mainly mud & roots.

I was running 1 - 2 psi & the cracks are on the other side from tensioner.

Grip on "pure mud" going was exceptional!

• 2 weeks later...

im trying out a gecko at the mo and so far quite impressed with it, only done 3 events on it so far but the last was a real tyre tester (mud roots rocks and bloody wet) and it coped with it very well.

I've allways run IRC's on my twinshocks and love em, my supplier said that gt had had some problems with some tyres but told him that mine was from a fresh batch so hopefully mine will be ok.

will keep you posted on how it wears and so on

• Like 1

A local chap on the island has tried one and he's ridden on one twice and both times it has gone flat. Pumped it up and it stay up but as soon as its ridden, it'll go down. No leaks when in a water bath either. Got to be something fundamentally wrong with them! Enduro tyres do some the biz though.

after 4 events running at 3psi and walls not showing any signs of cracking, a small amount of wear after sundays trial, holds its pressure all week.

either im lucky or other people have had tyres from bad batches, or fundamentally bad rim's/valves

199_zpsd726a947.jpg198_zpscb49b1e4.jpg

Edited by mont315
  • Like 1

New tyres arrived - A2 is printed on tyre. Definitely softer sidewalls now. Have fitted to 2011 Pro & my 2003 Pampera.

Rode the Pro last Sunday, sandy venue so ultimately grip not the issue. It held low pressure all day no problem.

Riding LDT on Pamp this weekend so will see what they're like on a heavier bike.

• Like 2

Hi, bit off the subject but still tyre related, i have a 2013 300st sherco, im running a mitchelin on the rear and have just found a tear about 20mm in length in the side wall, are the walls patchable, ive only ridden on the tyre a handfull of times so dont really want to replace it, sorry if its a silly question in pretty new to the scene, thanks.

while you can do a puncture repair on the main bit of the tread once a "normal" puncture (eg nail) gets near the edge and/or is in the sidewall, to fix it (by drilling it our and patching it) you would compromise the structural integrity of the tyre. now that's the car tyre answer - at low pressures off road you can risk what you want ...

our best local junior rider has just got a sponsorship with golden tyres so be interesting to see how he goes with him. he rides a lot so i'll post his impressions as he tries out the different types and see if they have got the problems sorted by now...

• Like 1