2000 Beta Rev3 Got Spark But Only Starts For A Second.help!

cudey68

I am at a loss to find out why my stepsons 200 beta rev3 125 won,t run.

Bike stood for a year and ran ok before.

Got a regular spark which looks slightly week compared to my Gas Gas but similar to my 2008 Rev3.

Stator checked and cleaned by myself all wiring/ connectors cleaned.New plug, HD lead and plug cap.

Carb cleaned and set up correctly.

My father started it last week and it ran for 5 mins before he switched it off.

It will occassionally start after numerous kicks only to fire up and rev for a split second before dying.

Tried bump staring doen a 300 metre hill did not fire at all.

After several kicks plug has been removed and is wet.

I know stator and CDi are problematic however as it has started several times for a second or so and it constantly has a spark i am not sure if that means the cdi and stator are OK.

Any help would be much appreciated as my stepson is on my case.

Thanks

Modern fuel does not have a long shelf life. Drain it off clean the carb out and put fresh fuel in. Vintage bikes that are stored over the winter have the same problems I always drain mine after the season is done and run the carb dry as it can block the jets and galleries in the carbs. Old fuel will wet the plug but may not burn. New fuels also tend to absorb water and corrode older fuel tanks and fuel systems on the vintage bikes are left with fuel in them.

If the plug is `wet` then the engine is flooded. You probably have a pool of fuel in the crank which gets sucked up and wets the plug, fire out. Have you pulled the exhaust and plug and pumped it dry?

Edited by lineaway

Could well be old fuel in the Crank Case.

Try removing the Spark Plug, putting the bike in 3rd or 4th gear and walking it up the rode and back. Hopefully this will help to pump out most of the old fuel.

Clean the Plug and before you put it back in drop a few drips of fresh petrol down the Spark Plug hole.

If you've got a decent and consistent spark it should run for at least 4 or 5 seconds first kick even with the choke off.