Tl320 Points, Condensor, And Flywheel Puller

cotagb

The points on my TL320 look a little corroded, so I'd like to replace them. Anyone know of a source in the US for these parts? Common with a snowmobile, or ultralight maybe?

I also need the flywheel puller. Will the "MOTION PRO FLYWHEEL PULLER SKI DOO ROTAX CDI IGNITION, 62-2037", fit? Looks like it has lots of options on the hole spacings, but I can't find the dimensions listed. It's pretty pricey, so I would hate to buy it, just to find out it doesn't fit. Any other sources for a puller?

Stupid question: is the flywheel nut a "normal" thread, or reverse thread?

Stupid question #2: how do people generally hold the flywheel when loosening or tightening the flywheel nut? (I would hate to admit some of the methods that we used in the past! :) )

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Edited by cotagb

I would think all parts are common with any Rotax motor. If you put a search into a well known auction site with the engine type (number), you shoud be able to get the parts you rquire in the US. As far as a flywheel puller is concerned I just use a normal 3 legged puller which I have ground a little bit off the bottom of the legs. Remove one leg to fit it in and then re-connect it to pull it. To hold the flywheel I find a place that doesn't foul anything important on the stator with a screwdriver and jam it in place. Probably not recommended. You could make a tool by drilling some wide flat bar with a wide hole to fit a socket through and two threaded holes to line up with the edge of two of the slots and then screw two bolts through to hold it in place. Hope this helps James

I have points and condensers if you get stuck.

To hold the flywheel I use a strip of steel approx 25mm x 5mm x 450mm long with an 8mm hole drilled in one end. I bolt this to the side of the flywheel (using one of the 3 threaded holes) and then use a socket and torque wrench. As you rotate the flywheel the strip will lock onto the top of the footrest allowing you to unscrew the nut.

Thanks to everyone's advice, I pulled the flywheel without drama tonight.

I made a flywheel holder like motoswm described, but I used 3mm angle iron because I had some laying around. It worked perfectly!

A harmonic balancer puller also worked perfectly! I picked up a Craftsman at Sears for $18, and it looks like it should last a lifetime.

I felt like a pro, didn't throw any wrenches, and no cussing. :)

Now I need to search for the points and condensor. If I can't find them locally, I'll order them from moto.

Thanks again for all the help!