Ty 175 Frame Mods Advice Needed

shercosteve

Hi, I am getting ready to start modifying my Ty 175 frame and swing arm. I am looking for advice and possibly pictures of which mods work the best. I was planning on using either falcon or magical rear shocks with the swing arm extended with the top mount moved down,and possibly stock front forks with magical springs or a complete 250 conversion. Is it possible to heat the top tube/cut the center tube to change the steering angle to 26 degrees.

Is it also possible if I made jigs can I make a stock frame into a close copy of a majesty 200 like I have seen done to a 250 on this site. I have access to a perfect Majesty 200 to use as a example.

I am also looking for tips on what can be done to the engine to improve the overall performance, as to port timing, head reshaping, and size of cylinder bore and how much piston clearance. Removing mass from the flywheel.I already have a bigger carb and electric ignition.

Thanks for any help!!

Steve

Steve moving the top Shock mount and adding 360mm shocks are a good Start to modding a TY175.

Lower and move back the footpegs is a also something that needs to be done.

Lose the stock airbox and make or find one that flows better.

Change out the stock front forks for some off a TY250 ts or even better a TY350 mono.

Cut off all the extra tabs and footpeg mounts.

Change out the top triple tree in order to get the handle bars forward.

Change out the stock gas tank and seat for a fiberglass tank& seat.

Now the best mod I have done so far is to move the front swingarm mount, so the the DT175 Swingarm is right up to the back of the motor. This lets the bike keep the stock lenght wheel base, but stop the front end from coming up on big up hills, and still lets it out turn most all the bikes of the day.

Now for the motor.

Use a left side case from a yz175. I forget which year but I have posted on here how to use the yz case and the mods to it in order the fit the ty motor.

Lose the old stock carb. A 24mm flat slide is a great upgrade.

Lose the stock exhaust for a WES or SM one.

Build or buy a shorter front pipe.

Use a intake rubber from a Yamaha RD350, It puts the carb in the center of the reed cage not offset to the left. I find the best reeds are a 2 stage setup.

A 1/4 inch alum. spacer between the reed cage and rubber intake.

Clean up all the intake and tranfer ports to a align the ports to the cylinder liner.

I set the squish band in the cylinder head to .040 inch. and reshape the head combustion champer so that the plug hole is in the center of the combustion champer.

I also find that the stock ignition with points works well with the points set to open at .090 inch. before TDC.

This is all with the motor bored out to 66.5 mm, Now if going out to 70mm (ie 200cc kit) then these setting will change.

Now if you really want to built and killer motor. Then use a big bore kit from a Yamha Blaster to take it out to 70mm bore and the crankshaft from said atv. The crankshaft in the stock atv is 3mm longer and you can get some that are up to 7mm longer then the stock ty175 crankshaft. But it is something only if you have a full machine shop to work in as the cases need to be highly modded to get the blaster crankshaft to work. But it does make a killer 260cc

This should get you started thinging.

When I get this new laptop up to speed I will post some pic. of my ty175 for you.

Scott

Hopefully" feet up fun" will chime in here and save my attempt at answering this.

I have ridden FUFs ty200 with frame modifications and it is a very nice bike to ride.

My understanding of what he did was as follows:

• steepened strg. head angle by adding material to frame back bone.
  • lengthened s'arm - see link.
  • 200 kit
  • ty 250 front end

http://www.trials.co...ications#p21189

FUF mentioned that somebody else went longer and down with the s'arm extensions which should give the effect of steepening without frame mod.

Edited by reginald