oily

Air box is open topped, there should be a perforated plate, a flat foam filter and a wire spring thing to hold them down. The seat base should be glass fiber and wood. But they do look like they are home made. Don't bother with getting the triangular silencer they make the bike run like sh-t.To much back pressure! I'm at sea at the moment but will be home at the weekend. I will take some photos of the side stand and the old foot pegs that I have in the work shop.

P M me your email address if you wish and I can send you photos direct. Have you had a look at the photos I have in the add? my bike started out in about the same state as your's

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Already emailed you Paul.

At sea? I spent 15 years at sea ;).

No silencer eh? that'll save me a fortune. Probably pay for most of the rebuild with what i save on the silencer.

I can't find the photo's you have in the add.

Have you got a link or at least a clue:)

Nice a photo, yours is an older M49 without the Kit, but I would not bother this is perfect.

I would upgrade to the metal fenders and search for the right sidecover-airbox unit, keep it otherwise as it is.

You're getting mixed up with your M49 models. This is the last version. They did three, the biggest differences were:

• The first had upright rear shocks, older style clutch and ignition cover and the frame was a single tube going under the front of the engine. The seat unit wasn't cut away for the top of the shocks as they were mounted further back

• The second version had the shocks angled forwards at the top and seat unit was cut away to clear them, like the one Oily has

• The third version had the new style clutch and ignition cover and the frame was widened underneath the engine. Oily has this one, the last version, although the top yoke is an earlier one.

The Kit Campeon was offered as an upgrade when the model 80 came out, I don't think it was available before that. The last M49 were still produced with their original tank and seat units, I'm sure.

They're a nice bike with a good engine, I had the version 2 model which I sold a couple of years ago. I always wanted the last version and I would have bid on this one if it had been closer to home.... I rode mine in a few Sammy Miller events and a good number of other trials

The Kit Campeon basically turned it into the next model, the model 80 or 'slimline' as it's called because of its slim tank/seat unit. There were no real differences other than the styling, as below

post-71-0-44971800-1351187880_thumb.jpg

You should be able to get everything you need for yours by now, most stuff is reproduced. I'd keep it in its original spec as they are a nice looking bike.

This was mine whilst it was having some work done. You can clearly see the difference from yours in the bottom frame tubes.

post-71-0-77010900-1351188141_thumb.jpg

Good luck with yours

Edited by woody

Thanks woody....

I'll start in earnest on Monday but except for pulling the engine apart and replacing anything that needs it, powder-coating anything that needs it and replacing any bearings seals etc this will be built to a budget and be a usable bike as opposed to a garage queen. If I had known more about it, I probably would have bought a later one instead. lol.

I'll try and do it justice.

Just noticed we are nearly neighbours. I'm just down the road in Kidd ;)

Woody

I wonder whether Bultaco carried over the old style top yoke for some time on the Mk3 Model 49. I also have one and it also has the top yoke with U bolts. When I got the bike it had stood in a shed in the High Lands of Scotland for thirty years. Mine has engine number M-4903170 and frame number B-4903144. The bike was complete and very unmolested,even still having the triangular silencer in place when I got it. Oily's bike is a dead ringer for the one I have. Would love to know how close the numbers are ?

Paul

Woody

I wonder whether Bultaco carried over the old style top yoke for some time on the Mk3 Model 49. I also have one and it also has the top yoke with U bolts.

That would be my guess as a few of the models on crossover dates have the previous or next model parts - same with Ossas

Anything over frame number 4902500 (approx as 2500 is easy to remember) is the last version or MK3. A slimline in different clothes....

You're getting mixed up with your M49 models. This is the last version. They did three, the biggest differences were:

• The first had upright rear shocks, older style clutch and ignition cover and the frame was a single tube going under the front of the engine. The seat unit wasn't cut away for the top of the shocks as they were mounted further back

• The second version had the shocks angled forwards at the top and seat unit was cut away to clear them, like the one Oily has

• The third version had the new style clutch and ignition cover and the frame was widened underneath the engine. Oily has this one, the last version, although the top yoke is an earlier one.

The Kit Campeon was offered as an upgrade when the model 80 came out, I don't think it was available before that. The last M49 were still produced with their original tank and seat units, I'm sure.

They're a nice bike with a good engine, I had the version 2 model which I sold a couple of years ago. I always wanted the last version and I would have bid on this one if it had been closer to home.... I rode mine in a few Sammy Miller events and a good number of other trials

The Kit Campeon basically turned it into the next model, the model 80 or 'slimline' as it's called because of its slim tank/seat unit. There were no real differences other than the styling, as below

No I did not mention any production run or series but I like to be correct. The frame was modified with #4902426 and as 4706 units where made from the model 49 from 1968 to 1971 the bike of the TO (with #4902625 / #4902626) should be build between 1969-1970 which is just in the "middle" of the complete production run ...

But maybe you can please tell the audience why Bultaco introduced this in 1969:

Kit%2520Camp%25C3%25A9onII.jpg

And then I highly recommend for further information:

- Francois Stauffacher: "Historia de la Sherpa T", (also in English available "Sherpa T the History"),

- Francisco Herreros Alfaro: "Bultaco - La Pasión pour el Deporte", (also in English available: "Bultaco a Passion for Sport")

Both namend autors do also state that the Kit was available in the end of the sixties / 1969 and btw. both variants where later available and do show up here and there (not often) for sale at least on the continent. There was later with the model 80 even a "Kit Excursiòn" with 10l gas tank and heavier flywheel for "motoalpinismo" (riding in the alpes) f.e. available.

The benefits of the Kit Campéon were: 1,3kg lighter, narrorer and lower gas tank while having the same amount of fuel "on board" and a better weight distribution.

I personal -as already stated- would leave the bike as it is, beside the foot pegs IF they show up somwhere for sale and of course the fenders.

ok, first thing is that I didn't try or mean to discredit what you said, I just thought you had mixed up the models. The bike that Oily has bought is a last model 'version 3' of the M49 from 1970 but you called it an early version so I thought you had made a mistake.

The Kit Campeon was introduced for some factory riders in 1970 but not all. Martin Lampkin rode the British Experts on a normal M49 in November 1970. The kit only became available for customers to buy in 1971 about the same time, or maybe just before, the model 80 was introduced. It was never available in 1969, even to factory riders. There are many pictures of factory riders on the M49 in 1969 and none have the kit, even in 1970, most are on a normal M49.

I think when the authors say 'at the end of the 60s', they are just referring to the end of that period, not specifically 1969. The bike in the brochure is the MK3 which wasn't sold until 1970

Edited by woody

Just back to the top clamp if you look at the m80 in Historia de la Sherpa T you will see it still has the U bolt arrangement for the handlebar clamp and I've seen other m80's with the u bolt so maybe they changed somewhere at the end of m80's production or at the start of m91/92.

My m49 (no.4004 from memory) has been changed has been changed to the later top clamp like a lot others because of the fragility of the original U bolt sysrem.

Also mine has the lugs on the frame to fit the Kit Campeon but as Woody says they were only a kit that you buy for the m49's in 1970 in the run up to the m80 which was introduced in April 1971 although I've heard they still had some m49's to get rid of up to 1972 as most buyers wanted the newer style.

By the way m80 and m85 Alpina footrest brackets are the same as the later m49 brackets so they may be easier to find if you want it to look original.

Finally the m49 are one of the best Sherpa's made such a nice relaxing bike to ride they will do most things the later Sherpa's will do. I just love mine which is standard apart from rear shocks.

Hi

Just read this topic with interest.

I too love the look of the M49 and M80 slimline and have a slimline myself.

But as an aside, I was riding in trials myself in 1969/1970 and do not remember a 'Kit Campeon'

being marketed in the UK (to upgrade the later M49 to M80 spec).

What I do remember is a Sammy Miller conversion kit to do the same job (obviously not the full Hi- Boy full frame conversion).

Had Mr Miller persuaded Bultaco not to market the Kit Campeon in UK in deference to his own ?

I could be wrong here but your opinions would be welcome.

Regards

Sparks