General Advice On Oset

dadof2

I know some people thinking of getting their young son an Oset as I have suggested it may be more suitable than a petrol engined bike.. They have no mechanical knowledge and may get problems from neigbours etc with noise from a petrol engined bike as well as starting difficulty and risk of burns.

Anyone any general comments on Oset reliability or other factors that they should know

What is run time on a charge

How long do batteries last

Do batteries loose capacity / running time after a year or two old

Cheers

I bought my daughter an OSET for exactly the same reasons regarding neighbours etc. and have to say it was a very worthwhile investment, particularly for just getting her into the whole standing up/twist throttle/slow and balanced mindset. From my experience my answers to your questions are as follows:

1: Reliability - never had an issue with the exception of when she dropped it on the throttle side and cracked the throttle housing, I had to order a new throttle assembly but it was no big deal - to combat this in future I cut the ends off the grips nd put bar end protectors in the ends of the bars (bike end protectors, not motorbike ones as they are too big)

2: Run time - it all depends on where you are riding/rider weight/hills etc. - when we are just practicing balancing or going through cones etc I can get at least 2 hours out of a set of batteries, throw in some hills though and the run time drops significantly.

3: Batteries will always loose capacity when being recharged and drained. Depending on how ofter you ride/recharge I would bank on buying a new set every 2 years or so.

To extend my run time I have 2 sets of batteries and alternate them so I always have a charged set ready to go.

We've had the 24V16 Spider since Christmas 2011 and are on the 2nd set of batteries now. The 1st set did not last very long, probably 2 months or so.

Reliability has been great, the only major downtime came on the 2nd ride when my son dropped the bike; As he picked it up, he accidentally turned the bars a full 360Deg and pulled the wiring right out of the throttle housing. I managed to re-solder the connections and the bike has worked fine since then.

Run-time has always exceeded two hours.

The cable operated disc brakes are hard to operate with little hands and are not reach adjustable. Most mountain bike hydraulic brakes will bolt right on without any modifications and together with smaller/softer grips are a worthwhile upgrade.

Bought a new 12.5 in 2008 and its still going well (all three of my children started onthis bike using stabilisers.)

I've got two sets of batteries for this one, each set will do a trial (ruoghly three hours) but don't have enough for any practicing afterwards hence the need for a second set. Constant riding around the garden gives about an hours use for each set.

Only wear and tear (so far) has been one rear tyre.

Also have a 36v 16 bought new in 2010, this has been fitted with hydraulic brakes. Run time for the bigger voltage bike is about the same as the smaller bike. Plenty of charge for a three hour duration club trial or for about an hours 'flat out' use around the garden.

The bigger bike needed a new 'ignition' switch but I changed it for a waterproof toggle switch that is located under the 'tank'.

598.jpg

I've been absolutely delighted with these two machines, it's allowed my children to take part in my hobby from the age of 2 1/2 and the older two both rode in events from their 4th birthdays. Fantastic value for money.

Pete

• 2 weeks later...

To add to the ++

Have had a 36v for 2 years - the bike gets well used and has a lot asked of it - my 9 year old attacks rocks and logs that folks on bigger bikes struggle with. Only issues so far have been:

Intermittent contact - traced to a poor sleeve connection - squished it together and all good

Chain bent - got caught by a stick

Flat tire - the dealer changed it at the trial!!

Front mudguard regularly needs pop riveting back on

He's just about outgrown it.

No issues with starting - when he crashes he picks it up and carries on

I chuck it in the trunk of my car - no liquids to spill

Kids thrash it up and down the street and no one complains

I replaced a rear tire and the rear shock

I changed to LiPo batteries to up the range - not necessary to begin with - but thats another thread!!

Fantastic starter bike