Fantic 240 Flywheel

majesty320

Hi

I am starting to rebuild the engine on my 240. I have 2 engines and intend to use the best bits from both, along with new parts. When I stripped both engines I came across some things that I found strange. Firstly one engine has a flywheel with a 26mm thread and the other has a 32mm thread. Secondly one has a kickstart shaft from what I am led to believe is a K-Roo and the other is standard 240, the K-Roo shaft has no groove for an O ring and so leaks oil when in use.

So my questions to you are If I use the K-Roo shaft because it is stronger how do I stop the oil leaking along it, and which flywheel should I use? They are both in good condition, but I was told that the 26mm one is standard for the 240.

Thanks in advance Mark

There should be an O ring between the flywheel cover and the crankcase which stops oil leaking along the kickstart shaft, on the 240 there is also one in a groove in the shaft (where they tend to snap) and on the later engines there is also one between the plastic flywheel cover and the flywheel casing. Using the later shaft in the earlier engine means only one O ring instead of two but it still works.

If both flywheels are as good as each other it doesn't matter which you use; the thread is only for a puller. Both of my 240s have the 26mm thread, I have only seen 32mm on the later mono flywheels.