4Rt Getting Hard To Start

flappy

My 4rt is getting to be a pain to start when it's warm. From cold it will start on the 1st kick virtually every time but when it's warm it's hard going. It's only 14 weeks old, the air filter is spotless as is the plug, I only use good fuel not supermarket rubbish and the tick over if anything is a bit on the high side.

When it does fire up it struggles to pick up and then dies, I kick it over slow with full throttle to reset it and this doesn't work but like I said when it's cold, first time

Any thoughts??

Andy

Have you checked the valve clearances since owning it? It should start when you reset the throttle, if it's not, then something is definitely not right, 12 weeks old, take it back to your dealer and let them check it over. Just a few ideas, are you slightly opening the throttle when kicking it over, take your hand of the twist grip and hold the inner bar. Don't jab at the kick start, one slowish kik to the footrest and hold a second before taking your boot off.

Edited by jj65

Yea did the valve clearances jj, not touching the throttle and kicking like you say. I'll stick a new plug in tomorrow and a new filter although they both look spotless. It just seems a bit strange that it starts perfect when it's cold

Mine doesn't always start first, second or even third kick when hot, sometimes, but a throttle reset results in a guaranteed start. The more hours on the engine the better, but as you say, could be as simple as a new plug, (I think I'll bung a new one in too). Electrics, it's witchcraft I tell yah :0)

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update, put in a number 5 plug and it's starting perfect. I did try a new number 6 plug that I already had just incase it was my original plug but it was the same but the number 5 has done the trick

Glad to hear things are sorted - wonder if anybody can explain the logic in this though as your issues was hot starting which you would think would not be that weather related. My 09 went a little this way but spent a day cleaning all electrical connections, cleaned out throttle body bore and tickover port and also a new std plug and seems better. May try the alternative plug if things start to deteriote again.

Glad to hear things are sorted - wonder if anybody can explain the logic in this though as your issues was hot starting which you would think would not be that weather related. My 09 went a little this way but spent a day cleaning all electrical connections, cleaned out throttle body bore and tickover port and also a new std plug and seems better. May try the alternative plug if things start to deteriote again.

Yes it is strange Jimmy, I have to admit I don't understand how this sorted it out but thankfully it has and saved me a very long trip to the dealer. A friend of mine who sells and repairs bikes is baffled by this too, he reckons if anything it should be harder to start :huh:

• 2 weeks later...

A NGK CR5EH-9 sparkplug is "hotter" than a CR6EH-9 and therefore better suitable in colder conditions. It's as simple as that I think ;)

http://www.ngksparkp...rk_plugs/p2.asp

Yea I know what your saying Guys but what doesn't make sense is the fact that when the bike is cold it starts first time, it's only a problem when it's warm. A warmer plug should help when the engine is cold but the problem is or should I say was, when it was hot.

It's all sorted now though, that's the main thing :)