Txt Por 300 Hard To Start?

chris falcon

It doesn't look like too much has changed with starting the Gas Gas TXT300 - same issue with a 2020 version - just tried the 2nd gear approach and it worked a treat.  Yep, I hope my days of getting more exercise out of trying to start the bike rather than riding it are over...😃

• 2 months later...

• 1 year later...

5 hours ago, Hughie said:

I’m having frustrations starting my ‘21 TXT 250. Obviously not as much compression but still a bit random to start. I guess this would work the same? Makes you wonder why they don’t build something into the design to make them start easier!

Once you figure out the fast kick needed it won't be an issue.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Glayne said:

Once you figure out the fast kick needed it won't be an issue.

So I’m told - it’s frustrating, I’ve had all sorts of bikes over the last 40 years and when I was told there was a learning curve to starting them I thought it was probably a load of tosh - how wrong I was! Still, only had it a week. I’m sure it will come! Wish it would come quicker though, how hard can it be!

Maybe practice with the handlebars leaning on something for balance so you can stand to kick, cycle the kicker maybe 20 degrees until you feel engagement, then it is a *sharp fast kick* 

I did richen the pilot circuit a bit when I got mine as well, I think it helped. I was ready to change carbs to the Dellorto I had on my last bike, or low comp head or anything. I was sure I downgraded bikes at the time, then I read up on it in this forum and got used to the starting tricks. I really like my 280 now and have no reason to upgrade. The roll back in 2nd gear works well as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Years  (decade) ago I bought a like new 2004 300 Raga from a friend that had the same starting issue. It sat more than it was ridden. How hard can it be I thought, I have ridden every brand of bike in my 5 decades of riding. I ended up having my son start it for me. It ended up being his bike. 2 years later he got a new Sherco. Finally I figured out  the starting, one or two kicks. Ever try starting a 300 Vertigo?  

• 1 year later...