A year into 4rt ownership and I'm still a bit in love. It now looks like this:

2C69FF07-3E5E-4AD0-B170-8E3DCCE47DA9_zpsxuvr5qe7.jpg

0A7098E5-284C-4FCB-BA4F-79666AD78B13_zpspaqfbxva.jpg

CD2EF31B-D668-4CBC-8B5C-BF5DC30D7A2D_zps74pb1q8o.jpg

1F86D8E2-68AE-430E-BB9A-FF912AC9DE5C_zps8vjv7arf.jpg

BD00FFA6-04F4-4299-BBE1-C7A9096C0913_zps7yb6uu7c.jpg

F6549124-6245-4849-8123-D4F72B135037_zpsjewpfxfl.jpg

2589D05A-4593-49CE-862F-B231F4892ADC_zps3zfqp0wv.jpg

These are my spare wheels whilst the repsol rear and the front are repainted orange, tank needs painted orange, nissin master cylinder to fit, future carbon fork brace to be fitted and a couple more stickers that we didn't get time to fit.

Other jobs for the future

Paint fork clamps black

Carbon shark fin

Carbon rear disc guard

Titanium goodies

New front pipe as the s3 one has had a nasty ding.

Edited by warby beta
  • Like 2

Very nice Warby, if you want a carbon shark fin and front sprocket guard, buy some flat carbon sheet, trace round your plastic one and simply cut out, file and job done. Your probably have plenty of the carbon sheet left, to make some more, if the others get damaged and it cheaper than buying them off the net. Plus a bit of self satisfaction in making something for your bike. :-)

• Like 2

Very nice Warby, if you want a carbon shark fin and front sprocket guard, buy some flat carbon sheet, trace round your plastic one and simply cut out, file and job done. Your probably have plenty of the carbon sheet left, to make some more, if the others get damaged and it cheaper than buying them off the net. Plus a bit of self satisfaction in making something for your bike. :-)

Cheers mate! Yeah we made one of each but I smashed the shark fin off and was thinking that the future one might be a touch stronger. I'll just dig out the carbon panels and have another go. Will probably make a number board too. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Cheers mate! Yeah we made one of each but I smashed the shark fin off and was thinking that the future one might be a touch stronger. I'll just dig out the carbon panels and have another go. Will probably make a number board too. :)

Don't go too thick with the carbon sheet, 2mm is best, it bends slightly, so if hit by rocks, doesn't snap, whereas thicker ones jut break.

Nice thread bump Warby. You must have been busy on the 280 as I see that after one entire year the red frame against your garage wall - the one awaiting an engine - hasn't moved at all.

The old fantic is a 'hospital' job I usually only get 5 minutes once in a blue moon to spend on it. Mainly because of the stupid nissans but yes, I've put quite a lot of time into the 4rt :D

Here's my 4RT got it a couple years ago the bike was known to me and not really done any work , had loads of trick bits and work done , it's running an S3 280 kit. Mitani back box , S3front pipe mitani clutch , single map PTB ,trick forks , top yoke , fat bars loads of carbon and titanium , sounds awesome , rides soooooo nice :-)

post-4149-0-26928400-1391602433_thumb.jpg

post-4149-0-64250300-1391602468_thumb.jpg

post-4149-0-50813400-1391602489_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I actually got to remove mine from the original crate, week and a half ago!! Other pick is van packed for day at fav trial property, yesterday.

Mags

post-20008-0-34009100-1401056074_thumb.jpg

post-20008-0-61702700-1401056090_thumb.jpg

Edited by mags

• 2 weeks later...

I wish I could give you a detailed test between the two but I don't have the experience to anywhere near use either bike to its potential. I have been riding the Beta for 4 months or so as well... so the Montesa felt a little weird at first. Also only 4 hrs riding on Monte so far.... and 6-8 static bal sessions.

That said I can give you my take on them...

The Dunlops are much harder in the wall so I run the tyre pressures down a bit from the Beta... grip seems as good so far, as the Michelins. I'm leaning towards the Michelin as the better front tyre. Although I have to try another .5 psi down on Montesa front...

The Montesa feels a bigger/heavier bike even though only a few kilograms in it.

I had a bit of trouble static balance on the Montesa but it was only because of so much time balancing on the Beta. Its not that way anymore I can balance both virtually equally now.

The Beta feels like it has a slightly faster steering and maybe just a tad more steering arc.

Power is superior in the Montesa... feels like a 350cc compared to Beta. You would expect that from injection though... more linear as well on the torque curve.

Wife had a go and says "got some mumbo!"

The fit and finish of the Montesa puts the Beta to shame! Period! The Beta looks like made in China 5 yrs ago by comparison! For example.... Body work on the Beta is fastened on by allen heads tapped straight in to the frame. The Montesa has Nutcerts and some captive nuts in brackets. It also uses proper shouldered fasteners that are single or double shouldered depending on the application.

I found core shift on the casting of the oil filter end cap of the Beta. One of the bolts was actually inserted in on an angle because the drilling of the 3 fasteners was not quite 120 degrees apart. I remedied this by re-tapping the thread and die grinding the hole slightly in the cap. This gave the bolt clearance but the thread being worn from angled insertion meant I had to back off the torque setting by 30%on all 3 and race wire them. No biggie but never should have been there for $10,000???

The Beta wiring plugs leave a bit to be desired... all plugs are home with the barbs engaged but the fan stopped working and all it was, was the plug (near rear shock) needed a push slightly further home. I have zip clipped the plugs together to stop the issue for now and after this weekend will open plugs up and check terminal's fitment to each other.

The Montesa has no such issue with fit and finish... Honda is Honda... the machining and casting is superb.

I thought the Beta had a better clutch feel but need to compare after the clutch gets worn in on Montesa but then my wife says after first go on Montesa, "Nice clutch".

As we get more riding time one bike will become apparent for my wife as a preferred bike.... if its the Montesa I'll get one for her and keep Beta as a spare.... its her first ever motorcycle in her life so don't think she'll part with the Beta, even if she doesn't ride it much.

The Beta has been a great bike so far as well though.... two learner people riding it and static bal practice for 4.5 months! Countless days at our fav riding property and its never let us down (only the fan issue, which I fixed when wife discovered fan not coming on).

Mags

• Like 1

Agree totally with your comments on the Mont. The front Dunlop is skittish on wet rocks when riding through streams and if you try the stiffness of the tread knobbles , you can feel the difference when you compare them directly . The back one i find just as good probably due to the extra weight of the bike.

As far as balance goes , it's easier to find when you stop from moving .The only bike i've ever got on and balanced instantly is the 2013 GasGas txt 250.

The Monts quality is head and shoulders above the rest and after several hours use the only thing i've done to it is adjust the chain.

It's ridiculously easy to control power on climbs of all types with low down traction .

One thing, those bloody great bolt's that hold the bash plate on,replace them with some dome headed Allen bolt's made from stainless , and then be amazed how heavy those bolts are in comparison .

HA HA HA ,laughed so much at the Chinese quality comment and have to agree , but i do like the Beta .