Acu Trials Registration At The Dirt Bike Show?

pete_scorpa3

Brilliant! I wondered where this would go eventually. No code - no licence, sems fair to me.

I firmly believe that all comp licences should be only provided to paid up club members - end of!

Support your clubs guys!

OTF, I see you are still acting as a sales rep for the AMCA, you seem to put the same thing on every forum, including the Scots threads! Maybe not?

Big John

Sales rep for the AMCA if i was i wish they would pay me actually i wish someone would pay me. No only mention it because we changed over along with the other two Classic clubs in this area for many reasons but one was the license issue which was causing problems at our trials with riders not bothering to get one. It got to the state where at one round i would have had to turn away half the entry and as a club we cant afford to do that. I got fed up of handing out application forms then the ACU started getting heavy with CoC's so decided enough was enough. Also there was the monetary side which ties into the SACU thread which was why i mentioned it there as other posters on that thread have.

If you were a satisfied customer of a firm, say a bike or accessories supplier you had recieved good service from, you would bring it up in connversation wouldnt you? That was the only reason i brought it up.

I do think the online facility the ACU have introduced is a great step forward but i am unsure why to be a license holder you have to be a member of a club. Most riders are members of many clubs but why does this have to be a prerequisite of obtaining an ACU license? OK the ACU have decreed it is and thats fine the clubs are all affiliated to the ACU so agree to abide by their ruling which is as it should be. Just my opinion thats all you think one way i the other but we both loves Trials and want to see it prosper.

Incidentally a lot of the riders who couldnt be bothered to get an ACU license were already fully paid up club members it was just that they seemed to have a paperwork phobia which may have been rectified by the online license application proceedure. Then again as most of them now ride just AMCA events perhaps it hasnt? Do know of quite a few of our members who moan that they have now had to join another club to obtain a license just to ride the Scottish Pre65 though.

Edited by old trials fanatic

I tried to get my lads licence renewed at the show - didnt have the code so was turned away .. pain in the ****

I have just tried to get my licence so I can ride my first trial Sunday .. cant get hold of secretary - no code - no license....

So much for encouraging new riders!

Its a farse

I know it has been talked to death, but maybe the system needs to be simple i.e just go online and purchase a license?

At each trial you have to produce your licence if not then you pay the club fee to buy a day licence with so much going to the ACU and the remainder going into club coffers. Yes more work for the unpaid secretery, but this time the club benefits.

Reckon a few more will get their ACU licence if they are asked to cough up each time they want to compete.

Can't remember the last time I showed my ACU licence? oh yes 2007 SSDT? B)

I think I know what the ACU are trying to achieve the fact that you have to be a member of a club to get an ACU licence, which in theory works! but how many riders at your local trial have a licence?

• Like 1

Can't remember the last time I showed my ACU licence? oh yes 2007 SSDT? B)

don't come down here in the south then!

you declare your licence number on the entry form (if it's enter in advance) and/or you can't enter online with the new acu online entry system without one

then when you sign on we make everyone show their acu card and club card, no card - buy a day licence (which is the same as an annual trials licecne - a tenner)

• Like 1

Now there's an idea :icon_salut:

That's it, great idea... cut out the clubs altogether and save loads of money.

No clubs therefore No club memberships fees, no trials, then there is no need for licences or insurance or anything. Cheap! That idea's a winner.

Makes you wonder why anyone would ever put theirselves out to run events at all.

Pete I don't really see why why the clubs have a bunch of code numbers to let some unpaid secretery do the ACU's job?

My point being that let those that wish to go and purchase an ACU licence and make it simple and those that don't will have to pay a Day Licence on the day.

Now I don't know how much you have to give to the ACU for a day license? but lets say it is £2-00 then you charge it at £5-00 and this is where the club benefits, lets not forget the unpaid secretery is doing this already, but now some goes into club funds?

Of course you would have to show your ACU licence and I do wonder how many can even find theirs let alone when they last produced it, but the guys that ride year in year out without paying the £10-00 and riding without a licence will be numbered and both the ACU and the Club will benefit?

• Like 1

That's it, great idea... cut out the clubs altogether and save loads of money.

No clubs therefore No club memberships fees, no trials, then there is no need for licences or insurance or anything. Cheap! That idea's a winner.

Makes you wonder why anyone would ever put theirselves out to run events at all.

Thats taken a little out of context.

I am highly grateful to people that put the time in to run clubs and put on trials, we are new to the sport and so maybe have an 'outsiders' perspective.We are fully paid up practice members at our club and its great, we will be observing next year as well, now the lad is up and running as well as planning to ride a lot more trials at other clubs.

However, I have just found it frustrating getting a licence as I didn't have the code to hand!!

Pete I don't really see why why the clubs have a bunch of code numbers to let some unpaid secretery do the ACU's job?

My point being that let those that wish to go and purchase an ACU licence and make it simple and those that don't will have to pay a Day Licence on the day.

Now I don't know how much you have to give to the ACU for a day license? but lets say it is £2-00 then you charge it at £5-00 and this is where the club benefits, lets not forget the unpaid secretery is doing this already, but now some goes into club funds?

Of course you would have to show your ACU licence and I do wonder how many can even find theirs let alone when they last produced it, but the guys that ride year in year out without paying the £10-00 and riding without a licence will be numbered and both the ACU and the Club will benefit?

I will add that my son has ridden about 15 trials this year and not once have i been asked to produce his license.

when they where designing the new online system they could have done away with the need for a club, the MSA (cars) i think has done so. but we in motorcycling want to maintain the idea that every rider is a member of a club to ride - ie no club membership, no acu licence.

yes this in some ways is archaic, but we are not in a world of professional promoters putting on trials so ...

• Like 1

I'll try to expalin the reason for this from the club's view point.

The ACU really wanted to introduce the online system and scrap the need to join a club, after all the ACU don't benefit from the money the clubs take as subs. It's the clubs who benefit.

We were asked to approve this idea and went back to the ACU and asked that they maintained the link between rider and club by linking licence applications to club memberships. This the ACU agreed to, although it would have been much easier for them to have scrapped the requirement.

We (Us) got what we asked for and I hope it continues.

With 100 paid up members, a club who charges £5 a year gets an income of £500 which makes a massive difference to running a club each year. It also maintains the contact with those 100 riders, you never know, some might even turn up to help run the events. All because the link between rider and club has been maintained by the need for a licence.

i respect what your saying pete, i'm a sceptical cynical person most of the time - i was in the room when they floated the idea of this in a proposal paper, i herd them explain the thinking, the thinking form the top (board of directors) was to ensure that becoming a club member was a compulsory precursor step to an acu licence. the reasoning was along the lines you outline.

again (as above) we get this silly situation where the poor chaps who have to man the ACU stand at the shows feel they need to be able to give/sell cards out on the day. don't ask me why, i;m quiet happy selling day licences, while on the other end of the scale the road racers require you to go on a course before you get a licence (ie hell will freeze over before they give them our on the day)