Help Please............

smallboy

Hi all

I have been loaned a pre 65 bike and want to take part in the National Downland Trial,could somebody explain the format to me,as i am new to Pre 65 scene.So i turn up sign on/pay RTA insurance,then i ride with another rider to...............How do i know were to go,how do i find the sections/do i carry a score card,do you do the sections once/is there a finish time.................All/Any advice would be very greatfully recieved.

Thanking you in advance.

David

Well, I think your first problem is that you have to pre-enter and the closing date has passed. Give the secretary a ring and see if they are still taking entries. They may do on the basis that you don't score championship points. Obviously, not a big deal for you as all you want to do is ride in the event.

The trial itself is like any other road trial, doesn't make any difference that it is a classic event. Same principles apply. You pay for RTA cover if your own insurance policy doesn't cover you.

You'll be given a route card with directions for the road work to the various groups of sections. There are also markers along the route for turn right, left and straight on. Pay attention and don't blindly follow the rider in front who may well be going the wrong way. It happens every event.

The trial is usually single lap so you only ride the sections once. You'll either be given a punchcard or the observers will use boards for marking. You'll be given a finish time but it isn't a speed event and you'll have plenty of time to get around, it's only to stop riders hanging around all day waiting for sections to improve if they think they will. If it looks like raining, being first through is better at this trial.

That's about the basics of it in a nutshell, but I'd give the secretary a ring asap to check whether you can get an entry. They don't take entries on the day/at the start as a rule, so best check.