Total Newbie, Much Advice Needed

sperm1980

Hi guys and girls,

Have already got the trials bug, been to see a few and want to start. Just wondering on any suggestions for what type of bike on a budget (up to £1000 ish?). I know it might need some work etc. Have some road and MX experience but not alot.

Have some old MX gear which I think should be ok.

Also, live in the SE so wondering of any friendly clubs ETC as I will be going it alone.

All help/advice greatly appreciated.

P.S. Have been looking on here for a while now, trials seems like a great place to be, 100% more friendly than the MX crowd.

Thanks for any help recieved.

Paul

Hi Paul,

Welcome to the trials world, I too am an ex motocross rider and have been riding trials for a few years now and I can say without any doubt that the trials community are a million times more friendly than the MX crowd.

With a £1000 budget I wouldn't worry too much on the make of bike as they all have their little niggles, your best bet is to go on condition and use......sorry that sounds like a bit of a cop out......but I'd look for a tidy 250 of any make.

The mx gear will be fine to start, however the first changes I'd go for are helmet then boots. It's amazing how much extra periferal vision you get with a trias helmet. As for the trials boots they are far more flexible and allow you to move around much more, which is vital on the old trials bike.

I'm not from your neck of the woods so am not too sure on the clubs in your area but I'm sure someone will point you in the right direction on here soon.

Best of luck with your cracking new hobby

Welcome Paul, and great username!

Whereabouts in the SE are you? It's quite a big place!

I'm suffolk/ essex border and we are spoilt for clubs and trials in this area. But having ridden in various parts of the country, I'm yet to find a club that is unwelcoming of beginners (I'm not a beginner and am therefore less welcome; harsh words often come my way, but that's probably deserved!).

I think your best bet is to go along to the next trial that is nearest to you and join up. Once you are known to the club, you have the collective resources available to you. A club is an excellent place to buy bikes too. For £1k, you can easily buy a bike, but if you intend to trial (as opposed to ride it around fields), you may get frustrated by some issues bikes in this price range can suffer. A bike that is older but regularly trialled will usually have been maintained to a standard that keeps it trial-worthy.

As above, don't worry about models; they all have their own nuances and strengths and weaknesses, but you won't know what fits you best until you're in the saddle. Best is to get started. Find a bike that is in the best condition you can. The specific areas that wear and detract from the pleasure are similar on all makes: Wheel bearings, swinging arm bearings, shock linkages, fork seals, brake pads and sometimes carb wear. Engine rattles are usually pretty obvious. Tyres is the single biggest area, but they wear out so are a consumable. It's not the tread depth, but the squareness of the driving edge that matters. None of these areas are particularly costly on their own, but a bike that needs several of these can soon owe you £300 if you're not careful.

Good luck though, and if you are anywhere close to north Essex/ South Suffolk, give me a shout and I'll give you some details as to where to start.

Graham

Thanks guys for the advice, really helpful as I have come to accept from this forum.

I am in the dartford area, I have been to the sidcup club once who run trials at Canada Heights. They are running a Beginner and wobblers trial on the 18th i think, so will pop down and try and join.

Then all i need is a half decent bike.

Thanks again.

Paul.