No Stop

biffsgasgas

Harsh words, I have two lads that live and breath trials, along with the other members of the youth academy.

You will always have people that come and go, but to lump it on all youth is simply not fair and also will alienate the youth from the sport. Come on get behind them, my lads quite often talk about older riders that have given them time to explain a different line or just talked about trials and the bikes in the queue.

• Like 1

Times have changed and we live in a world where instant gratification is the way of things.

You want a well worn phrase, this is it.

So, if you look at the changes from stop, to no stop, speeding the trial up should then -- in reality -- make the youth want to participate in trials all the more. Section riding should move along much faster, gratifying the younger crowd.

After all, who really likes to stand on a bike while it isn't moving?

• Like 1

Yea,we have put our sons two Beta 80s on ebay & bought him a KTM 85,we gonna follow the crowd & go MX,another youth rider lost to the world of trials & we definately wont be coming back,trials was a minority sport 30yrs ago & if the ACU have there way it still will be in 30yrs time.

If it's a majority sport you're looking for, maybe your kids should try soccer or football.

Only saying, it's not how much people do the sport, it's the ammount of fun you have that counts. Maybe trials was never your sport to begin with.

• Like 4

jfc,I don't mean to down anyone, it seems to me it's just the way things are playing out.

I deal with youngsters on a daily basis,at our trial yesterday I coached 2 youngsters before the start and took another 3 round with me.

We,ve started loads and they get a great deal from the club

Even to the extent of loaning bikes.

At 49 you can't think like a kid,you can only do so much and hope it works.

Edited by breagh

Cheers jfc,we do work hard at it.

The club is only 3 years old and in the middle of nowhere.

Last year we had about 200 members and I think we ran over 20 trials.

We,ve had over 80 at club trials and normally get about 50 entries.

There's no pack drill,just turn up and ride,if your new someone will go round with you

Seems to work.

:dummyspit: another one. Fair enough if thats how you feel it's a free country but shows a distinct lack of dedication and commitment to the sport of trials IMHO. I started in 1967 and have been doing it ever since. Seen the rules change the bikes change but most significantly the "attitude" of the riders change. Trials isnt a way of life for the average rider nowadays just a fashion thing. Too much look at me and not enough dedication and commitment along with way way too much ATTITUDE especially amongst the youth riders.

I hope all of you find what you are looking for in the camraderie and good humour of your average MX event. :popcorn:

I must agree with OTF on this. You want to go out for a ride with the kids, that is fine. MX will get them a ride home in the ambulance! Just a matter of when! Sure all will get a good chuckle!

Makes me wonder just how long Dad could stay atop the KTM 85, as the little POS's have a wicked power band! I would not want one!

Try the cost of MX for a while, see where it gets you!

The kids will ride what they have, nothing more. And they won't have that if dad goes broke in the process!

• Like 1

Parents fighting in the pits! Great fun!

Seen that more than once .... Everything from go-karts to mx to little leage ... Saw a real good one at a jr. high wrestling match once , cops present ended that one with a few arrests :)

Glenn

• 1 month later...

Hmm. Right, so I'm new to this sport (been riding enduro and some mx), I've always been fascinated with it since I can remember, and now I decided to get a bike and try it out (LOVE it so far). But all I can remember/all I know is more or less the style we see today. Until this week when I stumbled upon this "No Stop" thing on the forums, thinking "No Stop, what's that?" Dug around a bit and found an article, found a video, which made me think "Ah! Keep moving? That's interesting, I wanna try that! " as in, "this is a little different from the standing still stuff and could be something interesting to try out and test my skills! "

I would really enjoy having different events (or just having Saterday fun days where I pretend) where some are 'stop' and some are 'no stop' and seeing what happens (I understand there are some difficulties around track design...), and that serious events and championships this might be a hard point to make.

BUT FOR ME, I like that there is ANOTHER aspect, with a different skillset that I try out challenge myself, and possible have more fun. More diversity...!

The other aspect of trials that I love is that when I approached the community the first time I was amazed at how different the people are from the MX & Enduro crowd, very welcoming, non intimidating. Always trying to help me, showing me technique, helping me with problems, parts , etc BUT I didnt even know about trials until I saw it at an exhibition, and until I jumped in I didnt even realise there were so many riding spots,events, clubs and people involved! It was like this hidden secret!?! I wish it wasnt the case, I wish I found it earlier!

So, I'm not sure about your countries, but isn't that why things are dying?

Whatever happens, I'm just gonna keep doing what I love, ride my trials bike :banana2::D

Edited by eugenevd
  • Like 2

A funny thing happened to my son recently.

He is now 21 and just acquired his first MX bike after only riding Trials since age 7. Like most Trials Riders, I had

taught him to always thank the checkers which leads to the rest of the story.......

He was at the local MX track for practice day and before leaving, circled the track one last

time to thank the Flag Men for flagging all day. While in the pits, 2of the flag men found my son and each gave him

the one day free passes they were given from track management as their partial payment for flagging. Apparently they had never been "Thanked" before

and proceeded to tell my son about all the complaining they get from riders instead.

I think this says a lot about the mentality of MX Riders versus the typical Trials Rider.

Edited by kramit
  • Like 8

Kramit, great story, good on your son!! Some interesting comments for sure. I too have made trials my life for the better part of 30yrs now. I love it! The people, the challenge, and the competition. Its very rare to find alot of poeple who look at it the same way as I do. I am lucky too that my son has taken the same love of the sport, and in my opinion, is far better off for it! He is very dedicated and works really hard at it. Why, because he loves it too. Not fair to lump all the youth in that instant gratification, but I do understand how things have changed for them.....some for the better, some for the worse. I do know that kids today are bombarded with stimulation from all angles, so I can imagine in some ways its very tough for them!

I think its similar around the world in that people come and go from trials for various reasons. Its rare for those die-hards like the ones on here, who do it all there lives!

• Like 4

Kramit, great story, good on your son!! Some interesting comments for sure. I too have made trials my life for the better part of 30yrs now. I love it! The people, the challenge, and the competition. Its very rare to find alot of poeple who look at it the same way as I do. I am lucky too that my son has taken the same love of the sport, and in my opinion, is far better off for it! He is very dedicated and works really hard at it. Why, because he loves it too. Not fair to lump all the youth in that instant gratification, but I do understand how things have changed for them.....some for the better, some for the worse. I do know that kids today are bombarded with stimulation from all angles, so I can imagine in some ways its very tough for them!

I think its similar around the world in that people come and go from trials for various reasons. Its rare for those die-hards like the ones on here, who do it all there lives!

Agreed, I can attend a Trial and have almost as much visiting with everyone as riding.

Kind of hard to know what kids are really thinking, but seems the sport has taken on a lot

of intensity ( section wise) and I think kids tend to get discouraged about Trials at a younger age.

Lots of pressure to get better rather than just trying to enjoy the ride. Maybe its always been that

way and i'am just getting forgetful.

I got a kick out of checking our Nat. here in CA watching all the action and extreme diversity in our

sport. The riders on the Vintage bikes seemed more intense than the Pros!!!

Its All About the Love.

Edited by kramit
  • Like 1

What I enjoy is seeing people that ride extremely well just having a good time when they ride. Goofing off, wearing their fire breathing penguin gear, shorts or whatever. I enjoy seeing how well the top riders can ride but sometimes they are a bit "intense", not showing any emotion, really focused on the section. I like to watch the goofy guys get a really good ride, that is what keeps me going. The more fun I have, the better I ride.

But as always the best part of the sport is the diversity of the riders and observers and how well we all get along and help each other out. The wide range from the "intense" rider to the "goofy" rider is what really makes our sport THE BEST MOTOR SPORT!!

• Like 2

Maybe I missed something with the whole no stop debate ? I just watched the video of Shefeild ,(SP?) and thought to myself , if the Xtrials(indoor) is still stop and backup , what is the problem with outdoor events being no stop on natural terrain ? Let's see who of the pro's can win both ...

Glenn

And I totally agree with the zip above this , it's all about the fun we have when we ride !!! I do it for my entertainment and nothing else ! (well it is a great stress reliever too ! I just finished a clutch in a Lamborghini Gallardo ... and although after bleeding the clutch and E-shifter and a test drive to bed the clutch correctly , And taking the owner for a test drive to show him how to work the car correctly ... (3rd clutch in 14000 miles ! , none by me ...)But I do love my job ! I came home and played on my Fantic for a bit and the whole world felt better...:) )

Edited by axulsuv